Technical Bonnet cable broken!

Currently reading:
Technical Bonnet cable broken!

Midlifecrisis

Can I have advice on renewing a cable for the front bonnet release please. I am collecting another exxy from about 250 mile away and understand that the cable to the bonnet release has snapped, so although it will close, I will then have problems opening it when getting home.

Apart from tying it down with a bungee for the journey, is it possible to make cable as a temporary measure. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can buy a cable from B&Q which would do the job just as good and cut to length. (Maybe I dreamt it as my exxy has been giving me nightmares lately)

Anyone had a similar problem with regards to the cable that could advise.

Many thanks

Firstly a little I.D.:
The bonnet is the front panel that opens, where the engine in a normal car is yes?

IIRC, the bonnet release only holds down the bonnet so it the cable is broken, all you need to do is when you lift the bonnet, GENTLY push/pull the part where you are holdong on to drivers RIGHT.

blu:devil:

As already mentioned you will not have a problem opening the bonnet again, the cable is used to lock and unlock the catch rather than open and close the bonnet.

You can't just use any old cable though, the original is not a twisted bundle like the usual release cables, it is a single core of fairly stiff steel as it needs to push as well as pull. There isn't a spring at the other end (on the catch itself) so it can't pull itself shut.

The closest approximation I've ever come across to the standard cable inner is actually a wire coathanger but they don't come in the right length to be useful (but then again I've never tried it so maybe I'm wrong).

Managed to get just the cable wire for £6 off ebay. This will let me hopefully keep the outer cable static and just thread the inner cable through to the catch.

Good timing that it came on ebay when it did.

Many thanks for all the advice as usual. Terrific site for newbies like me.

Back