Technical Bleeding clutch and brakes.

Currently reading:
Technical Bleeding clutch and brakes.

mbarrass

I am posting this to help anyone struggling with the frustratingly difficult process of bleeding the clutch. At the beginning of the current heat wave I started having difficulty getting reverse when the engine was hot, I read on the forum that ideally the brake and clutch fluid should be changed every 2 year or so as air gets in the fluid, so as a stopgap I attached my eezibleed and blasted half a pint of new fluid through, this helped a bit but after a while I was back to square one.
So because the fluid had not been changed for 6 years I drained the whole system by blowing it out with the eezibleed (empty), after filling up the reservoir and the eezibleed the brakes where done in 2 minutes then the clutch, however the pedal had no pressure behind it so after a lot of pumping the pedal I managed some pressure but not enough to select a gear. After more reading on the Forum I tried elevating the front of the car and bleeding again this made no difference, until I spotted a thread on the forum that mentioned pushing the slave rod in to clear trapped air and bingo just open the bleed pipe )without the eezibleed on) push the rod on the slave as far in as you can and the air bubbles gurgled out then shut the bleed and let the rod out again. then repeat to make sure. and finally have someone push the clutch pedal to the floor and open the bleed pipe (watch out as the fluid will be under great pressure) then close it and pull the pedal back up repeat this one more time and your clutch will be working perfect. All in all this took me three days to get to the final solution so after the initial bleed with the eezibleed those last two operations where the ones that did the job.
Hope this is of some help to you all with brake fluid dripping off your elbows and steam coming out your ears?

Awesome. Like you done the eezibleed thing after changing the clutch and like you said with this hot weather reverse has become a bit of a dog to select. Was going to change the gearbox oil but im gonna try this first. Thanks for sharing :)

Back