General be brutally honest should i....

Currently reading:
General be brutally honest should i....

pikeman23

hi all,
Right we have 3 children under 5 and currently run a rover 75 doesle(bmw engine) this car is reliable but putting 3 car seats in the back is a squeeze.
I ahve looked at a 2002 multipla diesel. 120000 miles with new alternator and cam belt done 2 years ago, rear sunroof not working. I am anxious about fiats reputation for reliablilty as this will be our main car and used for holidays etc.
so
1. is there anything perticular i should look at when buying?
2. will it break down all the time !!
3. can you get parts?
4. Any other comments?
5. will i get used to the looks !!

thankyou i am seeing it tomorrow so any prompt replies would be appreciated.

I bought a multipla 110 jtd in may
Is a 2001 model elx so is a good spec
first diesel fiat engines are really good and troublefree if well looked after but multipla have problems like every other car...
I had to replace many parts like brakes, cambelt, water pump, filters and even fuel pumps...i have covered 6000 miles in it since may and car has never broke down on me and is a really confy car and the look will grow into you:)
Make sure that car has had cambelt and water pump + all tensioner replaced at same time (2 years ago is a long time i think) also check auxiliary belt as they are prone to break due to faulty crank pulleys and tensioners
Go for a test drive and lissen for suspension knocks, my car had a knocking issue due to a broken exhaust flexi...
Multiplas suffer also in the rear suspension as radius arm break and tyre start to lean and scraping top of wheel arch (expensive to fix)
My advice would be to stay away from any car that looks doggy, if you see an engine bay covered in oil thats a sign of negligence, also excessive smoke mean egr valve is blocked or turbo seals are gone if the smoke is white...look at all tyres and check for uneven tyre wear usually a sign of wrong tracking or suspension problems...check that spare tyre mechanism works as is a very common fault and really if you are not conviced dont buy it!
There is plenty out there for sale, parts are reasonably priced but you got to shop around to get them cheap as at the end of the day multipla is based on a bravo/brava/marea chassis so plenty of stuff out there
good luck tomorow and hope this helps

Hi Pikeman.
It's certainly not to German engineering standards. But most things are just annoyances and there are plenty of threads around here on fixing them. The big one: see when the clutch was replaced. If it needs doing anytime soon then walk away. They can be expensive. The Fiat is also a pig to work on, I find.
Mine is currently laid up with Clutch issues and I'm actually borrowing a Rover 75! Man that thing is cramped. I have 1 year old twins and a 10 year old and it's a squeeze for them in the back. The multipla, practically, is amazing. Truth be told I'd have gone for a Honda FR-V if I could afford it. But you should find it perfect for your family without being crammed into an estate or having to buy a big 7 seater and the increased running costs.

Well I've had mine for 4months now and done 4k miles which have been fault free...yes I've changed some parts but the car is ten years old...
I would recommend getting cambelt,aux belt and pulley belt with tensioners changed...if not done..
I also have an later shape 320d and can honestly say that I prefer to drive the multipla...
Yes u will get used to the looks but others will constantly rib you for owning one until they are in one...
Pound for pound its got to be the best value car on the market..
I would recommend getting one with lower milage 120k miles on any car means bills will be round the corner..
I've had 3 fiats and have all been reliable...even my 220bhp Coupe which I owned for 9 years! People that say fiats are unreliable are mainly people that have never owned fiats or just read reviews and still think that german cars are bullet proof..which from experience on mine...I know that's a myth!

Oh my 2 year old loves stitting in the back!! Sits so high up he can see everything and he's so high up and the big windows!
3 kids will sit in comfort in the back as its 3 seperate full size seats!!

well i went and had a look :( the engine was nice and brakes were good but when engaging reverse there was a grinding sensation as if clutch not fully disengaged, the forward gears were fine? Interior worn but ok. 3 of the seat belts would not retract when pulled out. I really wnat one of these now and am on a very tight budget any ideas?
I assume i should leave this one alone.

Clutch dragging could be a slave cylinder not depressing the clutch sufficiently - or it could be something more serious.

Seatbelts not retracting I would say is a sign they're worn out. I'd rather a safety item worked correctly in all aspects! :)

Yes, buy one, but not that one. By the sounds of it, the clutch needs replacing - I bet the owner knows it > has had a quote to replace > decided to sell and cut their losses. Or knock them down on the price. Never buy the first car you look at.

They may not be up to the legendary 'German standards of build quality' but they are a very clever design. To be fair, if you read online reviews about most MPVs you will see complaints about build quality - I think that is because the very nature of the uses to which they are put (taking seats out, loading them with all manner of horrible things, including kids). If they were built to 'German' standards, they would be so heavy that they wouldn't be able to move.

They are great if you've got 3 young kids (all in kiddy seats). It's one of the few cars with enough interior width to cope with this - most other cars will punch holes in the rear door trims as you slam the door shut :bang: after you've finally contorted your hands sufficiently to get at the seat buckles or ISO mounts :mad:. You can even stagger the rear seats to make it easier to get at the buckles, which also moves the widest parts of the kids seats out of line with each other.

Most of the things to look out for have already been mentioned here. Check the clutch operation - it should pick up around two inches from the floor (new clutch supply and fit is around £400; add another £300 if the DMF needs replacing). Check for suspension knocks with a good test drive over poor roads (mostly cheap to fix). If the car has sunroofs (mine has and I love 'em), pop the little grey plastic cover out of the roof lining just in front of the rear sunroof and have a good rub around on the inside of the lining with your fingers - if they come out damp or with lots of black mildewy stuff on them, walk away (one of the sunroof trays has detached from the roof panel and is leaking). Check that the seats fold up and remove easily (cables can break or jam). Check that the handbrake holds the car safely on a hill (if it doesn't, it's usually just the cables that need replacing - around £100 at a garage). Stand well back form the rear of the car, crouch down and see if the rear wheels are leaning inwards a lot (trailing arm bearings shot - about £150-200 a side to fix). Check everything electric works. If the car has climate control, press the snowflake button on the dash while the engine is ticking over; you should hear a faint 'clunk' and a dip in the engine revs as the compressor clutch engages - if you don't, the aircon isn't working and it either needs a regas or a new compressor (£40 or £350). The seat fabric on the later round nose (late 2003-on) and all square nose Multis is easier to keep clean than the early ones.

Once you've done all that, go back and check the clutch again, because it might have packed up while you've been doing the other checks :D.

This might sound dire, but they are insanely cheap compared to most other MPVs. Just check their prices against a same age, same mileage Touran. And I've yet to find anything that a Touran does better than a Mutipla (in most cases they're worse, unless you must have 7 seats). You can get more luggage in a 6-up Multi than a 6-up pretty-much-anything-else.

Last edited:
Just to add to what I said before - the clutch dragging could be something as simple as the slave cylinder passing. They cost about £25-30 for the part and any semi-competent mechanic with a 13mm spanner should be able to fix it an hour or two (providing they are similar to the Tipo platform originated Bravo/Brava/Marea).

Back