General BCM Failure and repair

Currently reading:
General BCM Failure and repair

jsm02

Hello everyone,
I have a 5-speed manual 2013 fiat 500 pop with 106,000 miles. I got it in October ‘21, and had no real problems hitherto.
I just had to replace my BCM (and battery and cables), and I couldn’t find much online when I was researching issues as they came up, so I thought I’d post about it.
The first problem to come up was cruise control and hill assist going out, along with ESC warning light. This stayed like this for about two months.
The second issue was when it started getting worse. My headlights wouldn’t turn off, and I found out by my battery being completely drained. AAA came and charged the battery and got it going again, so I drove around for a couple hours to recharge the battery, and upon turning it off found that my headlights stopped turning off, so I began unhooking the battery terminal from the post to disconnect and prevent drainage.
Next the brake lights stopped working. My other rear lights were fine, but not the brake lights.
I replaced the fuses for these problems, but it didn’t change anything.
I began having to use a jump box to get my car started every time, and even then it was slow and rough to start.
As I was driving to the dealership to have it checked out, power steering, battery charging, ABS, and more s*** out on me on the road, and had to have AAA come row to the dealership.
I have a warranty, although my deductible is high, and paid about 850 to have it replaced, most of the price covering the battery and cable replacements. It took about a week to repair. I waited about six months from the initial issues to when I s*** out on the road. Moral of the story, don’t wait to take it in- I won’t again.

Several people have written on the Forum about similar issues, usually around failing batteries or the wrong battery for "stop start" cars even if the wrong sequence in fitting the correct battery, also earthing/wiring issues relating to the same problems.
It seems if voltage is below a certain threshold for what ever reason problems like your result causing error messages sometimes the need to run a "proxi alignment" program to get the computer to identify and "talk" to the other electrical parts.
Many here use a program called MES along with the correct leads to "talk " to the computer, I have had success using a "Snap On Zeus" diagnostic tool which I assume is readily available in the US.

Back