Technical Battery Electrolyte Topping-Up?

Currently reading:
Technical Battery Electrolyte Topping-Up?

Hello all,
My battery is the original low-maintenance type with the 'eye' indicator - as described in the handbook, it should be black with a green centre. Mine appears white (though I plan to remove the battery cover for a proper check tomorrow, using the magic screwdriver apparently in the toolbox.)

The handbook makes a typically-vague statement about 'consult a FIAT dealer to have the electrolyte level replenished'. Before anyone suggests it, this isn't an option as the dealer is 140km away and charges like a wounded bull :)

My question is:
Do I top up with distilled water, or battery electrolyte (1.280 SG sulfuric acid solution)? I have both.

I remember once topping up a battery with electrolyte rather than water, and it was screwed (then again, difficult to tell if it was screwed to begin with).

Thanks,
-Alex

lol Argonought, why didnt you just say 'cunsult a Fiat dealer' youve been brainwashed by the manual havn't you ? :p

I'm pretty sure its not sealed so I'd whip the top off and stick some distilled/ de-ionised water in it.

The AA seem to confirm this http://www.aatrust.com/index.asp?pageid=85&advice=carbattery

Wether battery electrolyte would be better I dont know, not something ive ever heard anyone using.

TDF said:
lol Argonought, why didnt you just say 'cunsult a Fiat dealer' youve been brainwashed by the manual havn't you ? :p
At the risk of showing my age, I regularly used to check electrolyte level but haven't done so for at least the last 3-4 cars I've owned as they were fitted with maintenance free batteries.

You may well be correct that the Stilo is NOT fitted with a maintenance free battery but frankly I'd be surprised.

In any case, loss of electrolyte in a modern car battery, from say just a single cell, is a likely indicator of a defective battery so you might just as well change it and be done with it :)

Right, I've done it. :) Though, I never did find the magic screwdriver!

As seen in the second attached pic, the sight indicator was black in the centre but clear at the edges - showing the level was low. I removed the battery positive terminal circuit (what a monster!) complete with its 150A fuse and the other fuses, the battery clamp (two 10mm-head M6 bolts) and the negative terminal.

It was easy to pry the top off the battery - clearly made to come off relatively easily, as it's retained by the six press-in cell caps integral with the top (see second pic). The levels were down in all the cells - there are depth 'fingers' that indicate where the level should be - and down to the plates in two of the centre cells.

I topped up with distilled water as suggested, and refitted everything (last picture is after topping up.)

The battery is the Magneti Marelli brand, so is probably the original. I was surprised that it wasn't more 'sealed', as I remember the old maintenance-free batteries from at least ten years ago and they were completely sealed. My Dad tried to chisel the top off one and the casing split... quite a mess...

This Stilo battery is newer, but it's older... if you know what I mean. So I humbly suggest that other Stilo owners may like to check their battery levels, in order to get the maximum life before an expensive replacement ;)

Cheers,
-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4468.JPG
    IMG_4468.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Alex, the battery is Maintenance Free as opposed to "Sealed"; it means it shouldn't need water in the life of the battery.

When I worked for Halfords (car parts place), we always used to say distilled water only without acid.

Black (as yours was) means needs a DECENT (preferably slow) charge; if the indicator is clear (transparent), then it needs distilled water.

Alex, the battery is Maintenance Free as opposed to "Sealed"; it means it shouldn't need water in the life of the battery.

When I worked for Halfords (car parts place), we always used to say distilled water only without acid.

Black (as yours was) means needs a DECENT (preferably slow) charge; if the indicator is clear (transparent), then it needs distilled water.
Excuse the massive thread bump but just had to say thanks for posting all this info, it's just enabled me to take the top of my Mum's Seicento battery without fear that I was going to irreparably damage it :worship:

hi mate, i have the same battery. i topped mine up the other day its well easy.
just go to tesco and by de ironised water, its £1.50 for 1 liter
fill each whole up with just this water, but only fill it so it covers the plates.

mine was well low, plus i nearly bought a new battery but my uncle told me about this, so i did it and it has been brilliant ever since. even starts first time in this weather no problem, its like having a new battery

Back