Technical Barchetta and coupe motor

Currently reading:
Technical Barchetta and coupe motor

Yes. Not sure tho about engine mounts /gearbox as the coupe engine bay is bigger.

Thank you :worship: i am asking because i am looking to buy a coupe too, and i am very pleased with my motor in barchetta, so it is nice that a coupe has the same one. (y)

The 1.8 Coupe was a LHD economy model 98-99 I think. You'd be better off with the one of the later 20V's either 20V n/a or the 20V turbo which is seriously quick but takes a lot of looking after. 1.8 motor only puts around 110hp down on the road in car that weights 1.3 ton.

I've had both a tuned 20VT and the 20v non-turbo. Lot of power difference. Barchetta has 130Hp, 20V 155Hp and untuned 20Vt 220Hp. Night and day to drive. B is a fun car but a coupe can be easily tuned to 300Hp and up to 500 if you have the money and time.

My favourite for running around (4 seats, proper boot etc) was a late 20V non turbo..good balance of performance vs cost.

Last edited:
1.8 Coupe is deffo the slowest of the bunch. if you have a car that looks fast you need something in the engine bay to back it up. (y) Deeeeply embarrasing when a shoe salesman in a Passat TDI beats you off the lights and you can't catch him....(n)

Having done the boy racer bit i reckon the 20v 5 pots are a whole lot smoother than the 4 pots..16v n/a isn't much and pretty elderly and hard to find a good one now. All coupes are old cars- 10+ years old.

Well I basically agree with you. The Coupe is a heavy car for a 1.8

As for the 20V 5 pot engine. Yes very smooth etc. but so damn complicated and expensive. Nightmare to work on for the the DIY guy.

My 20V Coupe (non Turbo) was an absolute dream car and served me well. I had the choice of Turbo/non T from new and after driving both cars, including a friends Turbo I plumped for the non-T for some very good reasons

1) general low end grunt and driveability
2) turning circle
3) running costs

The first two being the final deciders as we did and still do 1000 miles annually driving round the Dolomite mountains. 3K in all. 1K down, 1K back and 1K blasting round the mountains. The 20V Turbo Coupe is VERY poorly suited to tight bends with steep inclines. Off boost zilch power, then woosh into the oncoming traffic or opposite wall/rock face. Can be extremely scary and bloody dangerous IMHO.

Off course given straighter roads and hills the Turbo model wins quite easily.

I didn't find much difference in the running costs between the 20v's. MPG and service etc were similar. Problem came when the 20VT needed a new turbo followed by a new head after throwing a valve at 140mph (on a circuit).

I wouldn't recommended an old turbo coupe now. Too old tech and starting to become hard to get spares. Most old performance cars have huge potential at wallet raping..the coupe can be a real money pig.

You're right. The 20V is a good compromise.

Back