Technical Bad connection on B.S.I.?

Currently reading:
Technical Bad connection on B.S.I.?

ROBERT SMITH

Hi,

My wife's 2012 500 1.2 pop has not had it's "stop start" feature work since it was 6 months old, our fiat dealership continually told us it was a low battery charge due to low mileage driving, the battery died two weeks ago, we replaced it with a brand new battery at our cost, the "stop start" still did not work, so we took it back to our fiat dealer, they did a full diagnostic check on it, at a cost of £270.00, the diagnostic reports that there is a bad wiring connection on the B.S.I. (BUILT IN SYSTEM INTERBASE),and was a bad connection to the body loom , and as it's classed as a wiring issue it's not covered under the vehicles 3rd year warranty plan.
We have had the car from new, it came with a 3 year warranty and service plan, we feel this problem has been there all along, and fiat should rectify the problem under the warranty/service plan, as it was probably a dodgy connection from manufacture.
They claim to have cleaned the connection and sorted out the problem, but the car has had to stay with them as they are charging the brand new battery we fitted last week overnight! As this connection problem has been draining the battery/plural now for some time, thus causing the "stop start" from working
I welcome any replies on this matter from forum members with any suggestions, maybe someone can tell me exactly what a B.S.I. actually is in lay-mans terms as i have not got a clue. Is this just a confusing technical term used to baffle me so i simply hand over the cash!

Many thanks,

Rob

Have you complained during the first year about the stop/start not working and battery going flat? If so, garage has records to show this, including their poor diagnosis. If you can find dates of each visit, ask to talk to the service manager, and get him to look at all the job sheets. There will then be the evidence that problem has been there a long time. They should then refund your diagnosis cost, and repair it free. Whether they get it back from Fiat is their problem.

If they do not play, talk to Fiat customer service, with the dates of each complaint, so they can understand the number of times the car has been in for this complaint. Then they can either authorise payment to the dealer for the diagnosis and repair, or insist that the dealer pays, due to incompetent diagnosis in the past.

Be firm, insistent, but don't lose your temper.
If they refuse to talk to you, visit reception at a busy time and talk loudly about the problems.

Hi Portland bill,

Thank you for replying to this thread, firstly i made a spelling mistake on the original thread, it should have been "BUILT-IN SYSTEM INTERFACE".
We have already done all that you suggested and spoken to the area service manager, he halved the bill,AS A GOOD WILL GESTURE, but we are still not happy as we still felt that the underlying problem was there the whole time, and that they miss diagnosed it.
We got the car back today-after paying them, and while driving the car home my wife told me that the "start stop" still is not working, we pulled over and phoned them, but they had all gone home,this was only 5 minutes after giving us the car keys.
Tomorrow they will get a phone call off my very disgruntled wife, who is wondering exactly what we have paid for here!
After all, we are back to square one, "start stop" still not working.
Yesterday i contacted fiat customer services direct, and lodged a formal complaint and was given a case number, and told that they would look into the matter.
We are not very happy at all!

Many thanks,

Rob

Here is an update to my wife's car saga, she phoned them up and they said she needed to do 8 cycles( 8 trips in the car) before the "start stop" would activate itself again, so 10 trips later, it still did not work, they had another look at it today and took it for a spin themselves, and it still did not work, one of the service guys took it into the workshop and did a re-set and now it works again, i might be wrong but i think they forgot to do the re-set the other day, they have also asked her to book it back in and have an update loaded onto the car, which should help to maintain the stop start feature.
My wife is not a happy bunny, the technical guy who fixed the car today told her that it only takes a trip around the block to kick the start stop back into operation, so when they continually told her that it was because of her low milage (the car has now done 7200 miles)that the start stop was not working was a fob off!
She is more adamant now that it should have been done under warranty in it's first 6 months than ever, and as for the B.S.I connection,(built in system interface), it seems to be in the passenger footwell, under the dash, and all they did was unplug it and dust it and plug it back in, whether they had to re-boot it afterwards, i don't know.

Rob

Last edited:
Here is an update
She is more adamant now that it should have been done under warranty in it's fist 6 months than ever, and as for the B.S.I connection,(built in system interface), it seems to be in the passenger footwell, under the dash, and all they did was unplug it and dust it and plug it back in, whether they had to re-boot it afterwards, i don't know.

Rob

"updates" seems a catchphrase.. as far as the S/S is concerned:rolleyes:

low mileage / use certainly doesn't help for it's function..,

as a test.. stall the car, it should re-start ( in gear) as the clutch pedal is depressed;)

Charlie

Back