Technical At a loss after engine change

Currently reading:
Technical At a loss after engine change

originalaragorn

Hi to everyone, take a seat grab a beer and listen to the weary travellers tale.:)
I have a w reg scudo 1.9, The engine started smoking, a garage said mmmm possibly piston broke (me on a sunday at 3am) compression test to be done. a friend recommended a mechanic (which he sorely regrets but no slight on him) The chap came and took it away and eventually said yes engine busted due to the end of an injector coming off and damaging the piston :confused: , an engine was bought and winged its way over and he fitted it but neglected to swap the original parts over from the original engine (like fuel pump ect).
the injector pump is a lucas which has now been put on the new engine, fired up and was running as bad as old engine, ahhh you need new injector pump says mechanic, so £250 later new injector pump is fitted and now the engine won`t start at all, will turn over but that is it. It has taken him nearly three months to get to this point and today i lost my rag and towed it home. Now as far as i can tell there is fuel to the stop solenoid but no further, apparently there is a chip in it and can i bypass it, was also told that needs to be plugged in to a fiat main dealer puter to get ecu to recognise chip.
Any help, thoughts or walls to bang head against much appreciated :bang:

u can remove stop solenoid and replace with one from autoparts I ha to do this on a 1.9 diesel

Thanks for the replies. The mechanic plugged in his scanner and couldn't get any info or reading from ecu, then started talking about different plug which he didn't have. This morning I have removed the stop solenoid taken apart and removed the inner so fuel can flow freely but still no joy the plunger is moving the fuel and tried some easy start which makes the engine catch a little. The problem is now having spent nearly a grand on engine, fuel housing, clutch and other bits is when to call it a day.

what age/ mileage.. condition will pay a part too..!!,

if it's still worth £1500 + as a sold runner,
why not buy a scrap high miler ( @£150)..with the same gear as yours HAD..,
esentailly FREE parts to tinker with then.., as you weigh in the remains when all sorted.,

Charlie

Hi Charlie, it is a w reg body work is good for the year, old engine had 190000 on it. As a work horse it is a fine van but probably only worth about £600.
I have been working on it today and now the starter motor has burnt out, oh how i smiled, so last ditch now is to try tow starting it tomorrow, have put direct feed to stop solenoid and it`s switching on fine but if it doesnt start any other thoughts? just wondered as well if you push fuel plunger down with the an injector pipe undone fuel does come out. I forgot to ask as well the socket for an ecu reader what type would it need as the one that was tried wouldnt connect, didn`t know if this was because it is old.

Last edited:
Back