Technical ASR and Hillholder not available - At my wits end Help!!

Currently reading:
Technical ASR and Hillholder not available - At my wits end Help!!

Jafamark

Hello all, I've been trying to solve this with every suggestion i've seen but still no joy.

2008 1.4 Auto Sport with Hill Holder and ASR fault, things tried to date
  • New Battery (No Joy)
  • New Brake Light Switch (No Joy)
  • Recalibrated Steering Wheel Angle Sensor (No Joy)
Help!!!

Fault Codes from MultiEcuScan are C0051-54 Steering Angle Sensor (NGE) and P0856-81 VDC Error Message from Gerbox

If anyone has any solutions or what to try next please let me know

Hi and welcome whilst this may not fix your issue can I ask if the engine earth strap has been replaced, its under the battery going to the gearbox?
Will have to wait for other members to post
It hasn't john202020, I'll take a look this weekend and let you know, does anyone else have any suggestions too?

It hasn't john202020, I'll take a look this weekend and let you know, does anyone else have any suggestions too?
I’m not familiar with fiat auto gearboxes but an ageing earth strap that’s failing can cause all sorts of issues… as can any broken wires in the rear hatch loom has that been replaced/repaired?

Update: earth strap done still ASR fault, took it to main dealers for Diagnostics £100 lighter and they came up with the same fault codes I did and quoted £2.5k to change the steering angle sensor, got one myself and changed it, fault is still there!!! Cleared fault code stored in ABS module and as soon as I exit the ABS module the fault shows up again. I'm going to scrap the car at this rate, I've had enough, any suggestions greatfully recieved

Last edited:
Update: earth strap done still ASR fault, took it to main dealers for Diagnostics £100 lighter and they came up with the same fault codes and quoted £2.5k to change the steering angle sensor, got one myself and changed it fault is still there!!! Cleared fault code stored in ABS module and as soon as I exit the ABS module the fault shows up again. I'm going to scrap the car at this rate, I've had enough, any suggestions greatfully recieved
The only advice I can offer is to hang on in there!
A lot of us have been there with various issues! Trust me when I say … I know!!
Dealerships: forget it! As you already know. Have you looked at the rear hatch wiring loom? Is it all good? Repaired or replaced? Most of us have had to replace: this can cause all sorts of gremlins!
Other than that … maybe it’s a gearbox issue?

Hi everyone, popping a message on this old thread.

I had the “ASR disconnected, ESC and hill assist unavailable, check stop lights” warnings for quite some time (over a year, I would guess) and from much Googling had always assumed that it was a bad brake light switch. It didn’t affect the performance of the car in any other way, and brake lights still operated normally.

I am now wanting to sell the car and ordered an aftermarket brake light switch at about 1/5th of the price of an original part. Once installed, the aftermarket switch removed the “ASR disconnected, ESC and hill assist unavailable” warnings, but the “check stop lights” warning was still there. After a bit of driving, the “ASR disconnected, ESC and hill assist unavailable” warning light started appearing intermittently again.

After playing around with the aftermarket switch yesterday, I discovered that if you wedge a piece of cardboard between the plate that rests against the switch and the plunger of the switch, the “check stop lights” warning goes away. However, as soon as the brake pedal is depressed again, the plate moves away from the switch, the cardboard shifts and the warning light appears again.

Today I purchased an original switch at R900 (±GBP 38) hoping to clear the “check stop lights” warning, but to no avail. Once again, if you wedge a piece of cardboard between the switch and the plate, the warning disappears until the brake pedal is depressed. This leads me to believe that the plate might be too far away from the switch holder. On the other hand though, the plunger part of the switch is adjustable, and so should cater to slight discrepancies in plate/switch distances.

Long story short - I am gatvol (/ˈxɑːtfɔːl/ South African English [ˈxɐtfɔl] [not usually before noun] (South African English) (informal) very upset or extremely unhappy or bored with a situation. gatvol (of somebody/something) I am gatvol of travelling on a jarring road, picking up punctures.) I’m trying to fix the car up (at least by clearing the warning lights!) before selling it for something a little less…Italian.

Anyone have any advice/similar experiences?

PS, I have also repaired the wiring loom between the body and boot of the car. Thanks to that, my boot now opens without using the key and my number plate lights now work!

Back