Anyone fancy a Jet Engine?

Currently reading:
Anyone fancy a Jet Engine?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
i have an 6 foot airplane propeller in the back bedroom which nearly got me killed by the missus i really don't think i would survive buying a TSR2 engine as cool as it is and i certainly don't think its worth even a fraction of the asking price

Why be like that? Its a bit of a laugh? It's not like you see massive engines or ejector seats on Ebay very often!

I know what he means, that ad goes on for ever about the 'possible' history of an ejector seat that is of no practical use it is basically a museum piece, and if you want one you will either choose to buy it or not, i'm not sure it required the seller to write a book, he's not getting at the content of the thread or your post at all.

The TSR2 is (was) quite a significant aeroplane as it was the second last innovative British military aircraft made, the last one being the Harrier, or Hawker P1127 if you like.

After leading the world with aircraft like the Spitfire, Mosquito and Meteor and the civilian Comet we went into a serious decline. The TSR2 would have been a true world beater and many people of my father's generation believe that this aircraft was cancelled not only because of cost but also after political pressure from the U.S.A. which meant we'd have been buying the Lockheed F104 Starfighter and the General Dynamics F111. We actually bought neither which was a good job because not only was the F104 surrounded by controversy as Lockheed officials were suspected of, and later officially recognised as, being involved in corruption with bribes being paid to Italian and German Defence Ministry officials; the aircraft later gained the nickname of "The Widowmaker".

Versions of the Olympus were also used in Royal Navy (and other) destroyers and frigates.

The TSR2 is (was) quite a significant aeroplane as it was the second last innovative British military aircraft made, the last one being the Harrier, or Hawker P1127 if you like.

After leading the world with aircraft like the Spitfire, Mosquito and Meteor and the civilian Comet we went into a serious decline. The TSR2 would have been a true world beater and many people of my father's generation believe that this aircraft was cancelled not only because of cost but also after political pressure from the U.S.A. which meant we'd have been buying the Lockheed F104 Starfighter and the General Dynamics F111. We actually bought neither which was a good job because not only was the F104 surrounded by controversy as Lockheed officials were suspected of, and later officially recognised as, being involved in corruption with bribes being paid to Italian and German Defence Ministry officials; the aircraft later gained the nickname of "The Widowmaker".

Versions of the Olympus were also used in Royal Navy (and other) destroyers and frigates.

werent the later rolls royce units also used in the concord?

my ex gaffer got into a MASSIVE conversation with me about it:bang: apparently the TSR2 project was cancelled due to the labour government of the time not wanting to invest around the figure of 1700 MILLION pounds. rumour also has it that anything to do with the TSR2 project was swiftly destroyed (blueprints, official files, and numerous fuselages being torched). the thing was, it wasnt that far off being a reality, the TSR2 prototype had already been flight tested. when the project was scrapped iirc mid/late '60s the government were going to use existing aircraft i think of yank descent but that ended up costing them more than 1700million... i think we shudda kept the TSR2 just for its technical advances in airframe structure, materials and the semi stealth properties of the damn thing but hey its one of those things that gets scrapped... you know like our space race projects that fell by the way who needs hydrogen and oxygen fueled rockets when we had hydrogen peroxide... you know that throttle-able technology that we (and some ex nazi rocketery types) worked so hard on after the war just for the funding to be pulled. altho it is nice to still have the first British satellite still in orbit AND operational!

only problem with the viper is parts. Rolls-Royce are refusing to service these now as they cant get hold of parts for them. I spent a brief few weeks working on the viper, and all i did was sit around, with a half built viper engine, as we didn't have the parts to complete it.
Plus certain parts cant be remade out of a mold, as the mould was condemmed, as it was radioactive LOL!

Last edited:
Back