Technical Any way to read error codes?

Currently reading:
Technical Any way to read error codes?

abunea

2007 1.4 16v Grande Punto. The ABS light came on and won't go away. Happened a day after the left front wheel was off to fix a flat. I don't think the repair guy touched any of the sensors, I was there the whole time and it did not throw the error until 2 days later.

Tried reading the codes with an OBD2 reader (already tested that it can connect to the car with Torque) but no fault codes seem to be stored.

On other cars there were "shortcuts" to reading error codes stored in the ECU, I cannot find anything for Fiat. Is there another way of reading the error codes? e.g. turning the ignition on/off 3 times and then the error codes are displayed on the odometer.

Noname / chinese ODB2 plugs are not the best idea. There is a possibility they won't connect to the ECU or they will misinterpret the ECU output. Are you sure your plug connected also to the ECU? Normally the connection is two step: app to plug and plug to ECU.

I've bought myself a couple years ago the ST1170 bluetooth interface, it connects both with MES and Torque. The reading are the same in both apps. Erasing the errors (at least the engine ones) is possible also with Torque, which was a priority for me (I'm not planning to connect MES on my laptop during driving).

ST1170 works on FIATs, FORDs and Mazdas. There's a new model, the ST2120, which is ment to be quicker.

Noname / chinese ODB2 plugs are not the best idea. There is a possibility they won't connect to the ECU or they will misinterpret the ECU output. Are you sure your plug connected also to the ECU? Normally the connection is two step: app to plug and plug to ECU.

I've bought myself a couple years ago the ST1170 bluetooth interface, it connects both with MES and Torque. The reading are the same in both apps. Erasing the errors (at least the engine ones) is possible also with Torque, which was a priority for me (I'm not planning to connect MES on my laptop during driving).

ST1170 works on FIATs, FORDs and Mazdas. There's a new model, the ST2120, which is ment to be quicker.
It connects to the ECU as I can get live readings like RPM, throttle position, etc. But it's not finding any errors. I know some cars have different computers and the ABS error code might be stored in a different unit that the ECU. No idea how it works on Fiats. On my Jeep by cycling the ignition you can view the error codes on the odometer.

ABS errors are stored in the ABS module. you'll need something that can access more than just the engine codes to be able to read whatever error the ABS is storing.

Most of us on here use MES (multiECUScan) which you can buy online and connect to the car with fairly cheap USB or bluetooth adaptors
So no chance with regular OBD, I see they have a free version, will give that a go and if not off to the shop for diagnostics. Thanks!

LE: tried to connect with the MES, it successfully connects to the OBD adapter but cannot connect to the ECU. On the other hand I can connect the OBD device to the ECU using the Torque app.

Last edited:
Back