Technical Alternator swap

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator swap

guyschofield

A basic question this, I hope someone can help!

I've just bought a new alternator for my 1300 lido, the previous one had a seized bearing (3 days of ominous noises and then kapow! smoking screaming drivebelt). The new alternator's a valeo replacement, not an original marelli and I'm trying to work out which connection is which.

Helpfully, the wiring diagram in the haynes manual has all the leads colour-coded...except they're all completely different colours to the leads on my car!

So, I have three connections on the wiring loom (which all seem to head in the direction of the regulator) and 2 connections on the alternator marked B+ and D+.

Anybody any idea which way's which? Or failing that, if I go for trial-and-error, how to test if the alternator's working properly without cooking it and the battery?

Please give me a shout if you know the answer, the summer's almost gone and I'm missing out on open-top joy!

Cheers,
Guy

Hi.. As it happens I've just been having problems with the X's charging system too and have just swapped out the alternator with a spare so I think I can help.. There's a thick black wire and a thinner wire with a right angled spade connector attached, I think it's black with a purple tracer. The thick wire has a ring type connector and attaches to the 6mm post marked with a plus figure with a 10mm nut. The spade connector attaches to the male spade marked - (neg.) It's a 1500 GF so the wiring could be different but try this, it may work.. Hope it helps..

Back