Technical Alternative oil filter 1.2 petrol

Currently reading:
Technical Alternative oil filter 1.2 petrol

tommo1

I have done a search and can't see a similar thread.

have a 2016 Panda 1.2 petrol and with over 90k miles on it, and little to be gained by a 'stamp,' am prepared to do my own oil and filter change. The one fitted to the car is a Bosch P2041 (0986 452 041). It may be an error, but I ordered one from Halfords :rolleyes: . The P2041 is out of stock but an alternative was suggested, still Bosch, P2036 (0986 452 036) and only £3.49. :)

IMG_20230529_104233_0.jpg

I now have it (the P2036) and it is slightly shorter the P2041 (not really an issue) but is a good 10 - 12 mm wider. It looks to me like it will obviously overlap the plate it is screwed onto! I appreciate the rubber seal will still likely seal but the overlap would bug me. Does anybody have experience with alternatives, maybe FRAM or Mann? The Bosch P2041 seems a bit pricey to me elsewhere for what it is.

How can traders (not just Halfords, several others) suggest a ready alternative that is a different diameter?

DO NOT fit the larger diameter one, it will leak, empty your sump in seconds, and likely destroy your engine. There's a reason Bosch use two different part numbers.

There was a change, from the large to the smaller one, before mine was made (2006). I guess it was probably when other changes were made to the engine, smaller diameter plugs, round oil cap, cam sensor, no timing marks, etc.

As said above, the Mann one is a good alternative. (Euro Car Parts 501660069)

I've used ECP several times in the past, and there's a GSF branch only a few miles away and almost on the way to the motorway so those are good options, thanks. :)

DO NOT fit the larger diameter one, it will leak, empty your sump in seconds, and likely destroy your engine. There's a reason Bosch use two different part numbers.
The google photos on the altenative seem to show that body is wider than the seal. so would guess the seal is the right size.

What I'm saying is that if they are showing it as a compatible replacement then the seal will be the right size and only the body will be wider.
I'd check and compare to the original, but if the seal is the same size then why do you think it will leak?

An angry face is not really an answer

What I'm saying is that if they are showing it as a compatible replacement then the seal will be the right size and only the body will be wider.
I'd check and compare to the original, but if the seal is the same size then why do you think it will leak?
But the seals are not the same size.

Attachments

• b2.jpeg
    b2.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 31
  • b1.jpeg
    b1.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 29
They shouldn't be shown as compatible then, if they were compatible alternatives then it should fit regardles of the can housing size.

(though I suspect the 1mm difference in seal radius will still probably fit fully on the sealing face)

They shouldn't be shown as compatible then, if they were compatible alternatives then it should fit regardles of the can housing size.

(though I suspect the 1mm difference in seal radius will still probably fit fully on the sealing face)
Not only that but the threaded part is deaper within the filter. No I would not trust it, easy enough to get the correct type.

Stop guessing. Stop trying to get the OP to try the wrong one. Are you deliberately trying to cause him engine damage? Why?
There are alternatives, because the design was changed.
The aftermarket suppliers are not sure about change points, so they list them all. Been standard practice for all my time in the motor trade.

I’ve often had different size and shape filters that are compatible but I’ve ONLY ever fitted them IF the seal and sealing faces are identical…the only time I’ve come a cropper is wehn i fit a ‘mushroom’ type on the tractor and it contacted the body/chassis…

Stop guessing. Stop trying to get the OP to try the wrong one. Are you deliberately trying to cause him engine damage? Why?
There are alternatives, because the design was changed.
The aftermarket suppliers are not sure about change points, so they list them all. Been standard practice for all my time in the motor trade.
There are alternatives because these generic one are made for many cars, not just this exact engine.

Anyone that cant make the call if it fits or not shouldn't be changing the oil filter, so people like you are best using a fiat dealer to allow a life without stress. :D

Not only that but the threaded part is deaper within the filter. No I would not trust it, easy enough to get the correct type.
The threaded part is only never that deep, only a few turns typically, on these filters.

There are some things that dont matter that much and some that do! The oil filter is possibly the most important (disposable) thing in the engine. If it does not allow / create the correct oil pressure, you put the engine at risk. Why buy anything thats not a proper OEM filter? S4P sell the proper filters at pretty reasonable prices.

Google oil filter fakes / horror and see the scope of the possible problems that are out there!

I took it back to Halfords and got a refund in the end. I will buy one that IS the same size to be safe.

I showed them the photo at the till, although they accept return of purchased items within 30 days even if unused anyway. The one I wanted wasn't in stock but I can get one elsewhere, no rush, I intend to do it after the MoT in July. :)

I've not encountered the larger diameter jobbie but I have been supplied with two different lengths of "can". Both fit although the longer one is a bit nearer the exhaust. I actually prefer the longer one as it has more filter medium in it and it's not near enough to the exhaust to have any detrimental effect. I've used both types on our Punto and Panda. - sorry don't know the part numbers.

I took it back to Halfords and got a refund in the end. I will buy one that IS the same size to be safe.
Better make sure it has "FIAT" printed on it, just to be extra safe, who knows what can happen without that printed logo... ;)

Better make sure it has "FIAT" printed on it, just to be extra safe, who knows what can happen without that printed logo... ;)
:giggle: On the contrary though, many Fiat parts are fairly poor in my experience, Panda 169 lower front suspension arm bushes I'm looking at you here. :confused:

I noticed that GSF do a pattern part classed as Silver which they say is "Original Equipment quality product in a GSF Own Brand." So, I picked up a Drive + item yesterday for £3.92 with their 65% discount, yes the correct size, in a bright orange box although the filter is black as in the photos online.

The Bluuprint ones cost a bit more and are only rated by them as bronze, i.e. Aftermarket. Yes, I should have stumped up the massive £6.12 for the MANN but I'm a skinflint wen it comes to my 'daily' car (E10 fuel only too); this one is a bit scratched and up to 97k miles. :)

Back