General alternater test

Currently reading:
General alternater test

grajac123

is it possible to test an alternater with a multimeter , if so how and what settings do i use

Yes just set the multimeter to 20v start the car and touch the battery terminals (with the right leads) it will tell you what the alternater is kicking out needs to be at least + 13.7v but better if it is around 14v-14.5v
HTH

thanks for that mate , tried it all its kicking out is 11.4 volts

thanks for that mate , tried it all its kicking out is 11.4 volts

At that voltage it is not putting out at all, 11.4v is even less than battery voltage, probably because it is slightly discharged. Check belt tension and also wiring connections at the alternator before anything else, also check output at alternator, if possible. You should be seeing 14 plus volts with no load, ie lights etc. Remember the alternator has a clutch too (depending on model, which can slip if faulty.

Raymie.

thanks for the reply raymie , i tested the alternater with my multimeter by setting it to 20 , and touching the common wire on the meter to earth on the chassis and the live wire on the meter to the alternater via the top of it where the wires are bolted on and this gave me a reading the same as the battery , have i tested it correctly and if so is the alternater a dud

thanks for the reply raymie , i tested the alternater with my multimeter by setting it to 20 , and touching the common wire on the meter to earth on the chassis and the live wire on the meter to the alternater via the top of it where the wires are bolted on and this gave me a reading the same as the battery , have i tested it correctly and if so is the alternater a dud

I would say its a dud. Although check you have 12v at the other wire, ignition on.

Raymie.

Last edited:
if by the other wire you mean the exciter wire i've tested it and its fine , so dud alternater , great cant wait to swap it

Back