Technical All nostalgic - Arrival of my 1996 Uno Start

Currently reading:
Technical All nostalgic - Arrival of my 1996 Uno Start

Yes hopefully she'll be road ready by the end of this week. Just waiting on a few bits to complete the job.

Then I'd like to start on discs, brakes, suspension, exhaust etc as they're old and rusty. Some minor exterior nicks and scratches need tending to as well still.

One issue I have only just noticed is that the heater doesn't work. Not sure why yet though, haven't investigated.

Overall very pleased I've managed to get this far. Thanks for the interest.

That's great! :) It's good that you've been able to save this underrated modern classic. :) Fingers crossed you'll be able to get the heater sorted soon.

Small update

Car is now in daily use...done around 60 miles so far.
I am loving the crude and simplistic experience of driving an Uno once again :)

Lack of power steering, especially on the corners, was something to get used to again haha. Although it is a small and light enough car. Unlike when the power steering went on my Mazda 626 a few years back while on the motorway :(

Heater is now working and just in time as the weather is starting to turn.

Still do to:
Left CV clucking
Replace discs and brakes as they're rusty
Exhaust is a little loose
Speedo is inconsistent and gets stuck sometimes

Got some paint touch up work to do as well.
Found some replacement hubcaps £30 for a set of 4:

$_57.JPG

Hoping to have her ready to put pictures up on the "Members Motors" section in a few weeks.

Have had a few comments already. The auto parts guys behind the counter insisted on coming outside to look as in his own words "he cut his teeth driving one of these when he first started to drive" :D

Ok so I know I said I would keep her standard and I'm trying honestly :D

Thing is she doesn't want me to. She bitches none stop. While I'm working on her she'll say something like "since you're replacing that anyway might as well upgrade etc". My new friend Hyperdart (https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/272308-1993-uno-mkii-punto-1242cc-conversion-malta.html) isn't helping either :)

So I saw these for sale in the classifieds and knew I just had to have them.
IMG_20151108_094433239.jpg

Dressed the car just to see what they looked like and I'm really liking them. I'll need to change the tyre size and, oh bother, I'll have to lower the suspension now as well :D
IMG_20151108_121101292.jpg

Been busy...thought I'd post an update:

I got annoyed of being passed by trucks on the motorway going up a long hill having to gear down constantly and dropping from 70 mph to 50 mph. It was not only uncomfortable but dangerous as well especially when trying to overtake and having no power to do so :bang:

Decided to upgrade the engine. Having read through the forum I saw many opted for the Punto 60 as it was supposed to be a straight swap.

First I had to find a donor engine, fairly common cost me £65.
IMG_20151116_114251621.jpg

IMG_20151116_114302502_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151116_114314834.jpg

I didn't have the throttle body or loom and ECU so I decided to use the existing single point injection from the original 45 engine to get the project started. Here is the engine with all the extra bits removed.
IMG_20151116_130539667.jpg
IMG_20151116_130534765.jpg

It wasn't as straightforward as others on FiatForum had led me to believe either.

IMG_20151120_102056417.jpg
First problem was the inlet manifold from my 45 didn't fit the P60 head.
IMG_20151120_102105163.jpg
This is the inlet attached to the 45 head.

The ports lined up so did the bottom two bolts but not the top. I decided to do a bodge connection temporarily while I investigated the issue further.
IMG_20151120_133339613.jpg

That wasn't the only problem either.
IMG_20151120_115132586.jpg
There was no threaded hole for the temperature sensor.

The threaded hole that allows the steel water pipe to be bolted to the engine block was in the wrong place as well.
IMG_20151120_092545003.jpg
IMG_20151120_092357106.jpg
IMG_20151120_084904379.jpg

Last edited:
Eventually got the engine in and running. Went around the block (less than a mile) and noticed a puff of smoke which cleared before returning home. Parked the car up and she was idling rough/lumpy and wouldn't idle on her own. Checked timing etc it all looked fine.

Took head off, damn, blown head gasket :mad:
IMG_20151122_011907888.jpg
In this photo you can also see the damage caused to the 45 starter motor because it didn't fit properly. It does work but when I torqued it down one of the mountings broke off. This is due to a raised piece on the 1242 engine block that isn't present on the 999cc block.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure what caused the gasket to blow so I decided to use my 45 head instead with standard inlet manifold. This would allow everything to fit properly including the temperature switch. It would also allow me to use the car while I send the P60 head away for skimming.

After mating the P60 block with the 45 head I noticed neither the 45 or 60 cambelt would fit. One was too short the other too long. I managed to get around this by swapping the camshaft pulley across. Belt fit great but the Punto camshaft pulley is a little larger with raised portions (for camshaft sensor I'm assuming?). The raised bits were touching part of the head. I had to grind it down a little (the head not the camshaft pulley:eek:)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7GolDmv271YZU1mS0htT2VXNXc/view?usp=sharing

I'm happy to report the 45 head mated with the P60 block with original SPI is working well together.
This clip is the car after a trip around the neighbourhood:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7GolDmv271Yc2FyTTdibWtmZ1E/view?usp=sharing

My thoughts so far:
While acceleration is only marginally better the torque is where this upgrade really makes it worthwhile. There seems to be bags of power (compared to the 45 engine anyway) and I haven't had to downshift during testing yet. Fuel economy doesn't seem much different either. The extra torque makes the driving experience a lot more pleasant.

What's next?
When the P60 head is repaired and returned I would like to fit that as it did have slightly larger ports. I would also like to fit the P60 multipoint injection but requires a bit of planning on my part. Everything will fit but I'll need a modified ECU along with P60 throttle body and engine loom.

I have also narrowed the gearbox problem (1st gear difficult to engage) down to a synchro issue. When I'm ready to do the head and MPI upgrade I'll pull the box out and replace the synchro(s) if easy enough otherwise I'll replace the gearbox. They are cheap enough these days.

Once the mechanics are running right I'll work on cleaning up the paintwork. Although in good condition there is 1 small dent in the driver's door and there are some minor rust balls developing.

I've got the Uno Turbo alloys sent off for refurb. When I get them back I'll have new tyres fitted.

It's all happening folks :slayer:

When I saw your Uno for sale on ebay, I was worried it was gonna end up in the hands of a stock car/grasstrack racer or get scrapped, I`m so happy its gone to someone with so much enthusiasm who obviously loves it & knows what they are doing!

Also, thanks for sharing your experiences & the associated pictures & videos, its all invaluable information that we`re all likely to need at some point (like when I finally get round to putting a 1368cc lump in mine!), so thank you! (y)

Last edited:
a73uk, thanks for the kind words ;)

When I first started this project I was determined to restore her back to original. I've come to the conclusion that because of age, difficulty in sourcing parts etc, it isn't always possible. I now try to focus on keeping her "era specific".

Even the engine upgrade still leaves the engine bay looking original even allowing me to use the original airbox etc.

The UT alloys are still "era specific" as well and they will allow me to increase the tyre dimensions providing better handling and safety.

The inside is already in fantastic condition. All I'm going to do is put in a new radio and some seat covers so as to preserve the original seats / fabric. I will change the instrument cluster if I can find a nice UT speedo etc.

looks like a nice project, keep us updated. I would have thought a 16v engine or a 1.6 punto sporting sohc engine would be good to drop in

I know what you mean about leaving it original or modifying it etc, my mk1 I bought it when it had 10k on the clock, I had to turbo it and give it a good thrashing around the nurburgring

Attachments

• 2015-10-25 13.57.33.jpg
    2015-10-25 13.57.33.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 2014-05-14 12.21.01.jpg
    2014-05-14 12.21.01.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
Nice clean looking Uno you got there mate ;)I like the colour. Post up some pics of the engine bay.

I'm on a journey of experimentation with this car. I'm enjoying the slow steady pace making sure all the work I do improves the overall reliability of the car/driving experience. I'll be upgrading to multi point injection soon with the P60 head. From there who knows ;) I have been eyeballing those 16v engines though. Definitely see one mounted in my chassis at some point(assuming I can get it all in without sacrificing reliability and practicality etc).

Last edited:
Small update

Car is running well with current configuration, no problems whatsoever and I'm loving the additional low-end torque now that the 1242 block has been upgraded.

I'm busy gathering all the bits I'll need to do the MPI conversion which will include installing the P75 head, ECU, new loom, inlet manifold and injectors. I'm still waiting on a few things. Once the bits are here I'll start planning the upgrade. It wasn't as straight forward as I had initially assumed. The fusebox, ecu, loom etc is a bit tricky.

IMG_20151210_135510.jpg

IMG_20151211_154720.jpg

IMG_20151211_154711.jpg

Nice clean looking Uno you got there mate ;)I like the colour. Post up some pics of the engine bay.

I'm on a journey of experimentation with this car. I'm enjoying the slow steady pace making sure all the work I do improves the overall reliability of the car/driving experience. I'll be upgrading to multi point injection soon with the P60 head. From there who knows ;) I have been eyeballing those 16v engines though. Definitely see one mounted in my chassis at some point(assuming I can get it all in without sacrificing reliability and practicality etc).

before 45bhp now 230bhp+

Attachments

• 2014-08-30 13.55.41.jpg
    2014-08-30 13.55.41.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 2015-10-11 13.30.21.jpg
    2015-10-11 13.30.21.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
Back