Technical All four coil springs corroded.

Currently reading:
Technical All four coil springs corroded.

tomrw

car noob
Car Passed it's MOT at the end of last year, and finally getting the funds around to get new tires etc.

Looking at my advisories I have them for the following:

Nearside Front Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Front Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Looking under the car the springs appear to be flaky? I assume this is what I'm looking at!

Does anyone have a ball park figure how much it'd cost roughly for this including approximate labour? And how easy a job is it to do it yourself?

how much is a wire brush and a tin of hammerite these days? you just need to knock the 'flaky' paint/powder coat off give em a clean up and a coat of black paint job done, and they will last a lot longer

just clean them up and paint them.

as they passed they must be in good condition, ie not broken or cracked so dont think you need to rush out and replace them.

to DIY them, id follow this guide here (mk1 but is almost the same) on removing/refitting, but to do this you'll need a set of spring compressors, 19mm swan neck spanner, good set of allen keys, good socket set, breaker bar, plenty of penatrating fluid, flexible paint, primer, sand paper, wire brush.
Probably best to leave a full weekend to do it, then get the tracking done when its all back together

Cleaning them up sounds pretty good to me! Cheers guys!

Just a quick question. Will 250ml of hammerite suffice? for all four springs? or is the spray hammerite better?

Also.. what is the best wire brush to use? (any?)

Cheers!

Last edited:
get the spray hammerite paint, that will go further than the paint on stuff...

Give it a couple of layers and you should be good to go.

If you wanna go down the painting root, i bought a 250ml pot, ive painted all my brakes and engine cover and still have half a pot left.

get the spray hammerite paint, that will go further than the paint on stuff...

Give it a couple of layers and you should be good to go.

If you wanna go down the painting root, i bought a 250ml pot, ive painted all my brakes and engine cover and still have half a pot left.

Cheers pal, ordered what I need!

Back