General All 2.0l Mjet owners look in please cheers

Currently reading:
General All 2.0l Mjet owners look in please cheers

Just trying to find out what experiences people are having with there 2.0l Mjets its obvious im having a very bad one...

What is your Fuel consumption like round town?

iv done 25 miles today and iv nearly used 1/8 of a tank and thats driving just normal not thrashin it or anything like that.. but at this rate for the 15 litres of diesel iv put in im only going to get 75miles out of it, which i think is shocking for a diesel...

Is it possible my car could be over fueling and maybe this is why iv been having all the trouble i have been with the DPF as well?

any figures from other people with the same engine would be much
appreciated!!?

What is your Fuel consumption like round town?

40 - 45mpg I do however live in Scotland where we have the benefit of reasonably quiet roads.

iv done 25 miles today and iv nearly used 1/8 of a tank and thats driving just normal not thrashin it or anything like that.. but at this rate for the 15 litres of diesel iv put in im only going to get 75miles out of it, which i think is shocking for a diesel...

Go on what you actually put in not what the dials say.

Is it possible my car could be over fueling and maybe this is why iv been having all the trouble i have been with the DPF as well?

any figures from other people with the same engine would be much
appreciated!!?

I dont even know if mine has been regenerating, never noticed it yet touch wood. I do know that the car is nowhere near as economical as Fiat would lead you to believe but I fully expected that. My usualy daily drive is 20 miles backroads to and from work, a few miles in town and abot 4 times a week a 25minute motorway blast.

Been doing a lot of motorway driving recently and been getting 45mpg average which is pretty good to be honest considering for the cars power.

I would guess I get about 450 miles before the light comes on to tell me its time for my wallet to be raped again!

Last edited:
craig2010201020102010201020102010 ;-)

How do you know yours is regenerating? I only asked as I have not noticed mine doing it, whether it has been when on cruise control and I never noticed I dont know, would be interesting to know though!

Cheers.

Paul.

craig2010201020102010201020102010 ;-)

How do you know yours is regenerating? I only asked as I have not noticed mine doing it, whether it has been when on cruise control and I never noticed I dont know, would be interesting to know though!

Cheers.

Paul.

lol hi paul...

i know on mine because when it used to do it my car used to judder violently for about 5 minutes.. and just before it did this my mpg dropped on the IC from 60 to 38 even though my foot hadnt moved...

now its stopped all the juddering and crap but the mpg still does drop and iv had it in to the dealer and they confirmed this to me saying it was regenerating when i said it was..

the reason i ask all these questions though is i put 10 litres and i got bout 70 miles out of it which is shocking i think concidering it is a diesel car and the figures they estimate as well.. and thats me been extremely careful on purpose to try and not get the fuel gauge to move.. all my mates cars diesel or non diesel including my friends astra SRI 150 the fuel gauge doesnt bloody move when they do say 25 miles..

i done 25 miles today and its moved bout 1/8 of a tank if it keeps up at this rate it means round town driving il get about 70miles to 15 litres of fuel.. there has to be something wrong there.. espeically when im not even takin it past 2.5k revs..

and i think the juddering that it used to do as well has something to do with the amount of fuel is been using as well.. SADLY when i take it to fiat they can never ever find anything wrong since the computer they plug in never has any errors...

i want it to get 45mpg round town 100 miles to 10 litres and slightly better on motorways lol thats all!

Do you not notice when you drive round that the petrol gauge always seems to be droppin fairly rapid?? cuz on the motorway its amazing compared to it..

Do you not notice when you drive round that the petrol gauge always seems to be droppin fairly rapid?? cuz on the motorway its amazing compared to it..

I have noticed that it tends not to drop linearly. I think my best tank was the first one when I got the thing. Drove from Aylesbury up to North of Dundee on one tank (it was about 600 miles all in as I had a visit to a mate on the way up) after that 450 but I guess thats because its more stop start and more of a mixture of driving.

I am sorry to hear your having trouble with yours I just hope mine doesnt start causing me bother as well.

I have noticed that it tends not to drop linearly. I think my best tank was the first one when I got the thing. Drove from Aylesbury up to North of Dundee on one tank (it was about 600 miles all in as I had a visit to a mate on the way up) after that 450 but I guess thats because its more stop start and more of a mixture of driving.

I am sorry to hear your having trouble with yours I just hope mine doesnt start causing me bother as well.

yeh thats pretty good then i guess.

im having mixed feelings about mine lol i just cant make my mind up.. i love the car i just not sure about the engine at the moment and its tuneability.. a long with getting parts for it i find hard at the minute.

im still testing it for round town driving not really had the chance since all i normally do is motorway..

surely me and you cant be the only two people who own a 2.0l Multijet?

No I've got one too and don't seem to have these problems (though it rattles inside - they're going to see if they can fix this next week). I get over 50mpg average (51 - 55 depending). Brilliant engine IMHO

Cheers

No I've got one too and don't seem to have these problems (though it rattles inside - they're going to see if they can fix this next week). I get over 50mpg average (51 - 55 depending). Brilliant engine IMHO

Cheers

o rite strange well glad it working fine for you.. mine just seems rubbish on gerneral town driving im averaging 38mpg at the moment i could get that up to 45mpg but i think i wud have to try pretty hard to do that.. im just concidering the remap now from TMC or from DTUK cant decide which one yet..

I've had mine about a month now and I'm loving it!
First tank full 48mpg, 2nd 52mpg (more motorway) and 3rd ~51mpg. Full average so far is 48.5mpg which I think is sweet! Please bare in mind my last car was a mondeo ST200 (2.5 petrol), 32mpg on a gentle run at best! (y)

Had a 2.0 Multijet for a few months now. Got 9K on the clock.

Has been in & out of the dealership with DPF regeneration issues, was down to every 100 miles, thing used to shake & shudder & was like driving a tractor. I gave up on it & bought a Jetta.

MPG was showing at 48.5 average, but it guzzled diesel & gave little in return.

Overall a poorly built rattly box with poor handling, iffy brakes & a creaky interior. For those touhing it out, Vpower gave less regeneration issues.

Had a 2.0 Multijet for a few months now. Got 9K on the clock.

Has been in & out of the dealership with DPF regeneration issues, was down to every 100 miles, thing used to shake & shudder & was like driving a tractor. I gave up on it & bought a Jetta.

MPG was showing at 48.5 average, but it guzzled diesel & gave little in return.

Overall a poorly built rattly box with poor handling, iffy brakes & a creaky interior. For those touhing it out, Vpower gave less regeneration issues.

im having exactly the same problems as you were aving with yours..

What did they surjest when it was shakin and juddering? anything?

mines now stopped doin the shakin and juddering but it still guzzles fuel loads. i cant stand it. example today i drove it with just under quarter of a tank ful, iv done 30miles and the lights come on. something incredibly wrong with the fuelin i think...

im in two minds whether to get it remapped or sell it.. as if i get it remapped im affraid that wont sort the problem out and might just make it worse.

im having exactly the same problems as you were aving with yours..

What did they surjest when it was shakin and juddering? anything?

mines now stopped doin the shakin and juddering but it still guzzles fuel loads. i cant stand it. example today i drove it with just under quarter of a tank ful, iv done 30miles and the lights come on. something incredibly wrong with the fuelin i think...

im in two minds whether to get it remapped or sell it.. as if i get it remapped im affraid that wont sort the problem out and might just make it worse.

Craig I can assure you re-mapping won't sort it out if it has a fault and may even make it worse. Have the garage checked the EGR valve?

Craig

Garage suggested nothing, new firmware, leave it with us, etc. Just got fed up with it, was in every week for 2 months, though I preferred the Panda Multijet courtesy car to be honest, basic but fun transport.

My MPG should read 46.5 average by the way which I think is poor.

Still have it, as it's on lease, but rarely use it.

Final straw for mine was when the indicators would not stay on when it was cold, the lock did not work, said that's it, dumped it on the drive & off to the dealer, trying to return it as unfit for purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the diesel Bravo a Lemon then guys? :eek:

Is the diesel Bravo a Lemon then guys? :eek:

There are quite a few problems with DPF regeneration on the newer 1.6 and 2.0 diesel engines but not on the older 1.9s.
There's now a fix for the 1.6 which involves new exhaust valves and some software updates , but apparently nothing for the 2.0 even though the symptoms are exactly the same.

Even though my 1.6 is "fixed" the fuel economy is 10% down on what they claim and I'd not recommend anyone buys one. By comparison I easily got the quoted MPG figures on my last two cars and my driving habits haven't changed at all.

Not if you have the old 1.9 8 valve, and the 5 speed box:)

In all honestly there must be thousands of 1.6s out there and presuming we hear on Fiat Forum a small number of faults would that say recurring problems with certain cars on the 1.6 rather than a generic fault? If it was happening to every car there would be far more complaints here surely?

Is the ECO model particularly bad because of longer range gearing not getting the exhaust temperature up, whereas the 'normal' 1.6 sits above 2000rpm in 6th at 70mph thus enabling it to do passive regeneration rather then active or forced?

I've not seen the DPF light on at all in my car bar at switch on- fingers crossed!

In all honestly there must be thousands of 1.6s out there and presuming we hear on Fiat Forum a small number of faults would that say recurring problems with certain cars on the 1.6 rather than a generic fault? If it was happening to every car there would be far more complaints here surely?

Is the ECO model particularly bad because of longer range gearing not getting the exhaust temperature up, whereas the 'normal' 1.6 sits above 2000rpm in 6th at 70mph thus enabling it to do passive regeneration rather then active or forced?

I've not seen the DPF light on at all in my car bar at switch on- fingers crossed!

apparently theres no such thing as passive or active regeneration on these cars.. i was told this by a Fiat dealer.. he said to me that it would only regenerate when it was up to temperature.. which would make sense also since eveytime i took it into the garage this is what they did to regenerate it.... Rev the crap out of it till it was hot enough which is why i come back to a car with 1/8 of a tank less fuel in it without fail sometimes more...

the juddering has now gone on my car.. so theres no "problem" as such according to the garage and everythings working as it "shud" (regenerating every 120miles) even tho i liturally drive like a grandad on motorways 70mph dead on and never any heavy accelerating to compensate for hills...

im sick of having to show the garage where to look thats their job not mine.. if iv surjested the dfp to them and they said "yes there is a problem there" then they should automattically know to look around the EGR valve area as this could also cause similar problems so this should of been checked as well.. they just dont seem to have any fault findin ability at all.

i assumed as the garage said thers no problem now that i might be able to sort my fuelin problem out with a remap by making it more fuel efficient.. i have also thought it might make the car worse but i guess it was a chance im willing to take as im left with no other options apart from sell the car..

apparently theres no such thing as passive or active regeneration on these cars.. i was told this by a Fiat dealer.. he said to me that it would only regenerate when it was up to temperature.. which would make sense also since eveytime i took it into the garage this is what they did to regenerate it.... Rev the crap out of it till it was hot enough which is why i come back to a car with 1/8 of a tank less fuel in it without fail sometimes more...

the juddering has now gone on my car.. so theres no "problem" as such according to the garage and everythings working as it "shud" (regenerating every 120miles) even tho i liturally drive like a grandad on motorways 70mph dead on and never any heavy accelerating to compensate for hills...

im sick of having to show the garage where to look thats their job not mine.. if iv surjested the dfp to them and they said "yes there is a problem there" then they should automattically know to look around the EGR valve area as this could also cause similar problems so this should of been checked as well.. they just dont seem to have any fault findin ability at all.

i assumed as the garage said thers no problem now that i might be able to sort my fuelin problem out with a remap by making it more fuel efficient.. i have also thought it might make the car worse but i guess it was a chance im willing to take as im left with no other options apart from sell the car..

Craig a common problem with VW 1.9 TDi older engines was air mass meters which packed up after 40-50k miles, people used to come to me regularly saying they wanted a box or remap for them because the car was painfully slow, this was because the duff air meter wasn't letting any fuel in just air so no power but mega MPG. Tuning these cars made no difference only fixing the problem solved the power issue, in fact after replacing the air meter the customers felt like the cars were already chipped, the difference was that noticable, then add a box or remap and boom mega power!!

I think it sounds as if your cars problem is the opposite of the VW problem, it sounds like yours is over fuelling in a big way which is or would be causing plooms of black smoke but because you have DPF it's catching all this smoke and blocking up very quickly and can't regenerate quickly or often enough so the light comes on because its blocked. This is not a DPF fault, it's doing its job but is being overwhelmed by the amount of soot its having to deal with.
The EGR valve is used to re-circulate exhaust gases around the engine to re-burn them but if it sticks can cause a massive carbon back up and smoke galore. I know Landrover had alot of issues with these on the Range Rover Sports originally and it would cause shuddering and rough idling etc.
If this is the problem then by remapping to increase fuelling you'll be adding to the problem not helping it. I would ask the dealer to remove the EGR and clean it or check if its functioning or if possible renew it. I can't think of anything else that would cause this problem but not throw up an engine fault light.

I can't say for 100% certainty that this is the problem but its the first place I'd be looking with the problems you're describing shuddering/high fuel consumption/DPF blocking.

Hope this helps you resolve it. The reason the garage probably can't diagnose it is that often EGR valve problems won't bring up fault codes or engine management lights so the dealer assumes there is nothing actually wrong. It can be a tricky thing to diagnose. Incidently the VW air meter problem also didn't bring on engine light or fault codes.
To be honest the whole DPF thing has been a nightmare and a real headache for dealers as anyone not driving regularly on the motorway or at least doing longer journeys will have re-generation problems, this is especially bad for taxi drivers and older folk just doing short trips. I know for a fact that most of the dealers I supply to have cars in every day to be forced re-generated.

Cheers

Back