Technical Airbag lights back on after clearing with fault code reader

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag lights back on after clearing with fault code reader

daz4mile

Hello, my airbag dash light and another orange (seat?) light has come back on after about a week after clearing them both with a fault code reader.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I haven't done anything prior to them coming on, it just happened out of the blue.

(My Punto is blue, no pun intended!)

Thanks
Darren

Attachments

• PXL_20231109_182042822.jpg
    PXL_20231109_182042822.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Hello, my airbag dash light and another orange (seat?) light has come back on after about a week after clearing them both with a fault code reader.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I haven't done anything prior to them coming on, it just happened out of the blue.

(My Punto is blue, no pun intended!)

Thanks
Darren
Ideally you need MES or similar good Diagnostic tool to get more detail, around a year ago I had to sort 2012 Punto Evo for one of my daughters with similar error codes. Long story short previous owners poor repair to passenger seat occupancy sensor shorted the BCM which I had to replace along with seat sensor followed by "proxi alignment " using diagnostic tool.

Ideally you need MES or similar good Diagnostic tool to get more detail, around a year ago I had to sort 2012 Punto Evo for one of my daughters with similar error codes. Long story short previous owners poor repair to passenger seat occupancy sensor shorted the BCM which I had to replace along with seat sensor followed by "proxi alignment " using diagnostic tool.
Cheers will look into it, I was suspecting something to do with the seats, thanks

It looks like the switch to turn off the [passenget airbag has failed. DO you have a key switch in the glove box. These things are fragile and in my limited experience not repairable. This is what I would expect of the passenger airbag has been turned off with the key. Have you have kids in teh car recently?

You’ve not said if it was a mk2 or the mk2b facelifted in 2003, but if it’s either then it is almost certainly an issue which was a common fault on the mk2, with the wiring to the passenger airbag switch.

Fiat recognised the problem and made a patch to repair the wiring fault as per the video below

However you will almost certainly be unable to get that repair wire now but the fix just involves fitting a proper earth wire to the switch which is separate from the rest of the dash wiring loom

Thanks all. Problem has been fixed.

The earth wire from the passenger airbag switch was not earthed. This was determined with a continuity check to earth from the black and purple wire. A new wire was simply spliced into the existing earth wire from the switch and then earthed to a bolt behind the glove box.

Fault codes erased, dashboard lights remain off.

(The image is behind the glove box, a new earth wire simply attached to the existing earth wire from the airbag switch.)

Attachments

• PXL_20231217_143308138.jpg
    PXL_20231217_143308138.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Back