500 Airbag lights after seat removal

Currently reading:
500 Airbag lights after seat removal

hannahman

Hi Everyone, a desperate plea!
My wife is very ill, and I bought a stairlift yesterday, and the only way to get it in the car was to split it in two, and remove the passenger seat which required disconnecting the three plugs under the seat.
The connections all clicked back in easily, but I now have the yellow air bag light on the dash illuminated.
I can't afford to go to the dealer nor be without the car for any length of time as I'm at the hospital most days.
I'm hoping its a quick fix:)
Any help would be very much appreciated, and if possible, a reply via email would be best
[email protected]
Thanks

Make sure it's plugged in properly, you will quite possibly find that it'll go off after a time anyway.

Hi Everyone, a desperate plea!
My wife is very ill, and I bought a stairlift yesterday, and the only way to get it in the car was to split it in two, and remove the passenger seat which required disconnecting the three plugs under the seat.
The connections all clicked back in easily, but I now have the yellow air bag light on the dash illuminated.
I can't afford to go to the dealer nor be without the car for any length of time as I'm at the hospital most days.
I'm hoping its a quick fix:)
Any help would be very much appreciated, and if possible, a reply via email would be best
[email protected]
Thanks

I've read all I can about the airbag system on elearn - apparently if the airbag ecu detects a fault condition on startup, it sends a signal via the CAN network to put on the airbag light.

It might be necessary to use external equipment (examiner or multiecuscan) to reset the light - perhaps someone with more knowledge / access to examiner can clarify this?

One thing to try (it can't hurt) is to disable, and then re-enable, the passenger airbag via the menu system. This will also cause the airbag ecu to communicate via the CAN network & just maybe (this is only a guess) could force a reset if everything is connected properly.

Out of interest, did you disconnect the battery for half an hour before disconnecting the passenger seat airbag connectors? Fiddling with airbag connectors with a live electrical system is not usually recommended.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your wife very ill Paul. I do hope her health will improve soon.
Not 100% sure about this but as it is recommended to disconnect the battery when unplugging airbags.. maybe disconnect everything again from under the seat. Remove battery connection.
Connect everything back up under the seat. Reconnect the battery.
Worth a try maybe.

Thanks for that bit of info,
Switched car ignition on, went into menus, disabled passenger side air bag, then enabled it and hey presto!
I hoped it would be a quick fix as surely unplugging a connection shouldn't require a main agent to rectify, but you just don't know these days do you!
Thanks very much for an ultra quick response(y)
Best regards
Paul

Thanks " the twins"
Cheers for the sentiment, but unfortunately its terminal cancer, which is why I didn't want to waste time with dealers.
I've also got three areas of the car damaged, (only one of them our fault!) that I just don't have the time to get fixed, firstly, last years snow, we drifted into an ice mound that cracked the front bumper, then when my wife suffered double vision (the onset of her illness) she clipped the gate post, denting the rear arch and lastly, parked in Aldi, and some toss pot clipped the rear bumper and just drove off, so all in all, £450 quote for a local guy to rectify.
All in all, it means nothing, but the car is needed daily now, so the tip from JRKitching above, has really made my day.
Its just nice to come across decent people like yourself and JRKitching, thanks guys!
Regards
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks " the twins"
Cheers for the sentiment, but unfortunately its terminal cancer, which is why I didn't want to waste time with dealers.
I've also got three areas of the car damaged, (only one of them our fault!) that I just don't have the time to get fixed, firstly, last years snow, we drifted into an ice mound that cracked the front bumper, then when my wife suffered double vision (the onset of her illness) she clipped the gate post, denting the rear arch and lastly, parked in Aldi, and some toss pot clipped the rear bumper and just drove off, so all in all, £450 quote for a local guy to rectify.
All in all, it means nothing, but the car is needed daily now, so the tip from JRKitching above, has really made my day.
Its just nice to come across decent people like yourself and JRKitching, thanks guys!
Regards
Paul

Stick around Paul oh and welcome :wave:

Ps good luck fitting the lift ;)

Pps all the best to you and your wife :)

Last edited:
Thanks " the twins"
Regards
Paul
****, sorry to hear about :( Enjoy your time together :)

Having been in a similar situation as yourself, your time is precious, so this is the priority, the car is secondary. If at a later stage you require any help PM me and I will only be too pleased to signpost you for any help you may need.

Best regards

Last edited:
Thanks " the twins"
Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,
So sorry to hear : /
Really glad JR found a fix for you.
The 500 just needs to do a good job for you now and a few grazes won't harm.
Understand you don't want to bother with wasting time.
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife Paul.
Take good care.
Ian.

Thanks to all for the good wishes,
I'm still in shock, but taking each day as I comes.
Finding out you don't have long left is probably the biggest shock you can ever have, but for my wife, who had breast cancer 8 years ago, and attended the breast clinic in April and to be told that she was fine and didnt need to be seen again, ( given a discharge) but in June to be informed you have bone cancer in 5 places, not cureable, was a massive shock!
We'd booked a cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary, and now we couldn't go even if we could get insurance,!
Life turns on a sixpence guys, enjoy things NOW! Tell your loved ones you love them daily!
Paul

Life can be too cruel. Can't imagine how you both must have felt receiving the all clear and then finding out that the cancer had returned.
Sorry to hear that you can't go on the holiday you planned for your 30th anniversary. You know, 30 years together is something amazing and to be cherished. Most marriages these days don't last beyond a few years. You must be a truly exceptional couple : )

Back