General Advice on AC units please.

Currently reading:
General Advice on AC units please.

Nurds

Hello all. We are thinking of adding an AC unit in place of one of the roof vents. An impending trip to France in August has me seriously considering the cost/options. I have a Hobby Vantana (Fiat Ducato) 2015 6M model. Here’s what I could do with some advice on please:

Which is a good model. So far we have only looked at the Truma? Ideally I want to spend around £1,000 to £1,500 fitted (I’m not fitting it)

We will do a fair bit of wilding. Do any of them run off 12v? If not, is it practical to also look at Solar panels? If they do run off 12v how long might we get in terms of usage?

We are thinking of replacing the front vent? I assume no issue with this as appose to the rear?

I know there are portable options, but we won’t have the space to carry one.

Once fitted, are they worth it?

Sorry a lot of questions I know.
Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
nurds.

AC saps a lot of energy, forget the 12v options (not that there’s many) so only useful ‘on the move’. The big output units rely on your hook-up, so for wild camping it’s a no-no. I do know someone that put a used van ‘chiller’ unit on their merc van but again, relies on engine whilst moving and hook up whilst stationary…so, unless you are prepared to take a genny it’s generally a non-starter…we used to take a small Honda petrol genny that was almost silent running, very small and portable, but many European sites, that weren’t hook up, don’t allow them…there’s also bans in many areas that don’t allow wild camping.
Always used to park in the shade but had one of those ‘cube’ chillers that was 12v, only 2*C lower than a fan, but noticeable. Even that took its toll on four leisure batteries!
For much more advice on this, go on the ‘overland’ site

AC saps a lot of energy, forget the 12v options (not that there’s many) so only useful ‘on the move’. The big output units rely on your hook-up, so for wild camping it’s a no-no. I do know someone that put a used van ‘chiller’ unit on their merc van but again, relies on engine whilst moving and hook up whilst stationary…so, unless you are prepared to take a genny it’s generally a non-starter…we used to take a small Honda petrol genny that was almost silent running, very small and portable, but many European sites, that weren’t hook up, don’t allow them…there’s also bans in many areas that don’t allow wild camping.
Always used to park in the shade but had one of those ‘cube’ chillers that was 12v, only 2*C lower than a fan, but noticeable. Even that took its toll on four leisure batteries!
For much more advice on this, go on the ‘overland’ site
Thanks @porta really helpful. I’ll have a look on that site. I don’t have the leisure battery capacity you have. Enjoy your field😎

Having been it Italy, wehn they experienced their highest ever temperatures, we always parked amongst the trees, it was the only way to keep the van cool. Planning a route meant we could pick sites via google and imaps.
Don’t be afraid to ask farmers and locals if you can rest over, if you spot a suitable location…many are more than obliging

We had similar thoughts and 12v was ac was not an option we were in Southport in June 32c had to come home poor frenchy was ill with heat so forked out for a maxfann delux fantastic bit of kit excellent air flow through home simple to fit not had a chance to test it in 32c yet but should give a cooling breeze when we do

We had similar thoughts and 12v was ac was not an option we were in Southport in June 32c had to come home poor frenchy was ill with heat so forked out for a maxfann delux fantastic bit of kit excellent air flow through home simple to fit not had a chance to test it in 32c yet but should give a cooling breeze when we do
Thanks @Bertieboy ill investigate. 👍👍

Hello all. We are thinking of adding an AC unit in place of one of the roof vents. An impending trip to France in August has me seriously considering the cost/options. I have a Hobby Vantana (Fiat Ducato) 2015 6M model. Here’s what I could do with some advice on please:

Which is a good model. So far we have only looked at the Truma? Ideally I want to spend around £1,000 to £1,500 fitted (I’m not fitting it)

We will do a fair bit of wilding. Do any of them run off 12v? If not, is it practical to also look at Solar panels? If they do run off 12v how long might we get in terms of usage?

We are thinking of replacing the front vent? I assume no issue with this as appose to the rear?

I know there are portable options, but we won’t have the space to carry one.

Once fitted, are they worth it?

Sorry a lot of questions I know.
Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
nurds.
I have a Truma Aventa Comfort fitted to my McLouis. It is the second one I have had, the first was in my Elldis. They just fit straight into a 400 x 400mm vent. Mine was fitted by the dealer when I bought it. Fully fitted, I don't think you will get a new one for under £1900 - £2000. Unless you can source a secondhand unit. We use it for heating and cooling. The heating system takes precedence over the hot water, so if that's running no hot water. The A/C heats the habitation area in no time. On cooling it has a night setting which runs it quietly, so sleep isn't disturbed. It is probably the best accessory I bought.

I have a Truma Aventa Comfort fitted to my McLouis. It is the second one I have had, the first was in my Elldis. They just fit straight into a 400 x 400mm vent. Mine was fitted by the dealer when I bought it. Fully fitted, I don't think you will get a new one for under £1900 - £2000. Unless you can source a secondhand unit. We use it for heating and cooling. The heating system takes precedence over the hot water, so if that's running no hot water. The A/C heats the habitation area in no time. On cooling it has a night setting which runs it quietly, so sleep isn't disturbed. It is probably the best accessory I bought.
Thanks @Grizwold. Much appreciated.

Back