Acer Aspire One

Currently reading:
Acer Aspire One

Re: quick question thread MK II AKA the yeah that thread AAKA karbineftw does know

that will be fine for browsing the internet but not much else

Re: quick question thread MK II AKA the yeah that thread AAKA karbineftw does know

I've got one that I use for Internet/Email etc I even use it to remote onto peoples systems out an about (when HSDPA/3G signal is good enough).

I even have MS office running on it and its perfectly quick enough :D.

You won't find a proper laptop for that kind of money unless you buy secondhand.

Netbooks are great if you accept that they are designed to a budget and therefore they will be compromised in one form or another. Don't expect to be able to use it for any serious gaming, for example, and watching movies on DVD will be out as there's no optical drive.

You can of course rip DVD's to disk and watch them that way, but it is still of questionable legality, and would have to be done on a machine of better spec than this even if you bought an external DVD drive.

Cheers,

Plug

I've got an aspire one 532h. It's great. Web browsing, full office 2007, e-mail, fiat ecuscan, music, media player. I use mine to run PowerPoint presentations on big screen projection, play films (must be ripped to memory stick first as no cd drive on aspire ones) no problems. Mine runs windows 7 starter. Works as well as my full laptop in almost all ways. In real terms, outside gaming and heavy video/photo editing, it's absolutely fine. To be honest very few people need more from a mobile machine.

I run an aspire one for at home general stuff, a toshiba tecra a11 for work and £1200 of home gaming pc/ stupidly powerful toy! They all have a role, but for the £260ish my aspire cost from john lewis it's fab!

Got an aspire one last year and got no end of use out of it. Fine for web browsing, office type stuff etc. Obviously movie playback is pretty limited with no optical drive and a smallish screen but it's great for taking away on hols with a 3g dongle. Games...no. 'mystery case files' is about the limit (they don't need the disc in either, bonus!) although retro is doable, got Starcraft on there.
one bugbear: battery life is pretty feeble, just web browsing 2 hrs is about its max and for anything more demanding it goes down from there.

I wouldn't choose a netbook tbh unless you really need something tiny. I am currently typing on an Acer Aspire 5410 I got from John Lewis of all places for 270 quid due to it being returned opened under online purchasing rules about 6 months or so ago. Has a disc drive, has N band wireless, has 3GB of ram. It is more than fast enough for most applications but not a games machine i'll admit although never tried it. It does however have a 15.6 inch widescreen, built in webcam, 4 hours battery life at least and is less than an inch thick. Probably best computer i've had, not most powerful but just works for things that i've used it for and will do near everything the beasty HP I also have access to will.

Last edited:
My daughter has one. It's great for surfing the web. Small for carting around and seems pretty well built and robust. Only downside is limited battery life.

My daughter has one. It's great for surfing the web. Small for carting around and seems pretty well built and robust. Only downside is limited battery life.

Really, mine does about 7 hours of use. Thats doing office stuff, web browsing odds and ends. I charge it once every week or soe, and I use it maybe up to an hour each day. I have always let it go totally flat as I was advised to do to improve battery life, and it works, I've only done maybe 5 charge ups in the month I've had it but it seems fine. Mine has a good size battery. I had a choice in the shop of two machines, one with 4 hour rating one with 7. I went 7. I assume the two version have to different battery types. My model number is suffixed -h. Poss long life version. I;m guess now though!

Yes, I think the newer ones may have an upgraded battery. My daughter has had hers for over a year now, 2hours is about the best you can expect from it.

A little bit on the slow side due to the single core low voltage processor, but a very good netbook. My parents have the Aspire One, and I have the Ferrari One. If you want some serious netbook power for less than £400, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Acer Ferrari One. Nothing troubles it, and the battery life is 5 hours if you keep the screen brightness down.

Back