Technical Accuracy of MPG readout

Currently reading:
Technical Accuracy of MPG readout

This is of limited relevance, but my last car (1990 BMW 320) had an on board computer which said that I was averaging very poor "M/G". Then I found out that by reseting the computer, you could alternate between US "M/G", Imperial "MPG" and European "km/L". Switching to Imperial MPG gave a much more acceptable reading.

So Im guessing that a modern car like the Fiat Multipla will have a button for switching between Imperial MPG and European km/L (at the very least) and possibly US M/G. However, I've never even ridden in one, so may be wrong.

hi all, my multi was giving me about 38-9 on short journeys, then had a problem with air flow mass sensor which said was giving me 32mpg, disconnected air flow sensor and this started giving me 50mpg!!!!

Grim_Evil said:
were is this sensor??. maybe i need to do the same

its on the pipe leavin the air filter, but told by a mechanic last night disconnecting it may have serious consequences, good job new one arrived today
but does amaze me that when u do disconnect it, it goes to factory setting and u get 50mph???????????

My 1,9jtd 2000 multipla shows different readings every time i reset the trip count.Doing the same weekly route and driving like a saint as its almost payday i can vary between 36 to 54 mpg showing but when you do the maths im getting about 39 to 42 mpg week in week out.

My MPG is usually about 30 - though only trip to scotland with five bikes hanging off teh back I did average 46mpg - not bad consider I didn't hand about.

It does seem that and average speed of 50mph give me the highest mpg on the trip computer. I'll do some proper readings when I next fill the tank.

Hello, I'm new to this forum (my first post infact), although I have been lurking for a while.

I was interested to read in earlier posts on this thread that these seems to be a mpg indicator on your Multipla........Where is it?.......Do I have one?.......If so how do I access it?

My Multi:
Turquoise!
Petrol 100 SX
Year 2000 (V reg)

Had mine for one year exactly (well, last Friday)

Captain Creasy said:
Keep pressing the trip button, it cycles round some useful Info.

I like looking at the Range - highly entertaining :)

Hmmm......I'm off to the garage then........sounds interesting.
Do I need the key in any particular position?

As long as it is on. The Range doesn't work unless you are moving though.

Of course mine is a deisel, but I can't see the petrol version being any different.

Anyone know better?

Well, i've been out to look at the trip/mileage button and the only other reading it shows is
It does not change when I press buttons or change when I drive.

Any one shed some light on this please?
What is it?

Hi just joined the forum. I have a 2005 JTD Dynamic 115bhp. Display usually indicates an mpg of between 34 - 37 mpg over a whole tank. Had it checked twice at dealer and they say everything is normal. Had an indicated 45mpg once on a long journey at no more than 50mph. When towing, struggle to get 28mpg. Have to try the brim to brim.

Hello Conan and welcome to the Forum :D

The brim to brim check is the only reliable way to see how many MPG you're getting from your car. I know my Doblo over-reads by about 3mpg, as it usually shows a consistant 50mpg around town and can go upto 65 on the motorway! Yet around town I'm getting around 46mpg actual :)

P.S. CeeEmDee a brim to brim check is where you fill your tank up to full and record how many litres you put in for example 40.5 litres. Make sure you reset your trip computer (or analouge trip) to 0. Drive until the tank is nearly empty (don't let it run out) then fill up to full again and record how many miles you've done say 398miles, and how much fuel you put in this time say 38.9 litres. Now you divide 398 with 38.9 and this gives you miles per litre. You can then go on the internet and use a converter to convert Miles/Litre into MPG!

Last edited:
Is there a way to reset the MPG software as mine is well out, it is showing as 22.6 MPG :eek: , I have used over half a tank and done 350 miles, I am going to do a fill to fill check when it eventually runs out, it seems to be going on forever.
I recon on about 47 MPG...:D

Red1Leader said:
Is there a way to reset the MPG software as mine is well out, it is showing as 22.6 MPG :eek: , I have used over half a tank and done 350 miles, I am going to do a fill to fill check when it eventually runs out, it seems to be going on forever.
I recon on about 47 MPG...:D

OK fill to fill works out at 40.9 not bad for a lot of running on the spot, but the MPG was showing 21.4, not sure whats going on there :bang:

Back