Tuning About Tyres.

Currently reading:
Tuning About Tyres.

Pyabbi

Hello to all,

I am using a Grande punto 1.2 8v Emotion.

My car came with **** JK Tyre 165 R/14.
JK Tyres is an Indian brand, and I actually bought this car looking at the brochure (which was a diesel variants) we realized things differ in petrol cars with features, a diesel emoticon would have had, 175 R/14 and Emotion pack the 89 bhp (1.4 16v Petrol) would have had 195 R/15 Apollo Tyres.

6 years later, finally my Tyres were dead, at 46000 km like so dead if I’d drive it above 60kmph it would start bumbing, the steel structure inside probably heated up and would cool down as I drove less than 60kmph.

Today, I am using YOKOHAMA EARTH 1 - 185 R/14, I wanted to buy Michelin because everyone said, yours is a heavy car and Michelin Tyres are like old rough and tough jeans. They did not had the 185 size so I bought Yokohama.

Do you feelGrande punto has more tyre noise than other cars ? I feel it’s because it’s much heavier than others it’s iron sheets are thicker too, and I don’t think they have added a lot of sound proofing material since it’s a budget hatchback.

I enjoy driving, and I feel my cars very well. With everything it’s sound movement etc, and I don’t know if these Tyres have a better grip it’s just the weight that gives me confidence and so less body roll, mine has 182mm ground clearance compared to 192mm of m current fiats in India.

Can anybody share any info about Yokohama Tyres.
Mine appears to be simple passenger Tyres just their walls seem to be very tough even at 10 psi the Tyres appears like they have appropriate pressure.

Or their tyre experiments ?

Road noise is noticeable inside. The quietest tyres I've found are Dunlop's.

Really noticed a difference when I swapped the rears out.

Replace them when worn, before they get dead unless you want to risk being dead too.

Not worth the risk for the cost of some new tyres.

Beside cosmetic effect, the diesel might need bigger rims (15") to accomodate for bigger brake disks. The overall weight might also require larger (195 vs 165) tyres…
From outside a car is not noisier than another similar one (do not apply to Rolls-Royce or Bentley's ;-), but the tyres are, in Europe the manufacturers have to provide the db generated by their product. The road material can also be very noisy for e.g.concrete or much quieter for certain type of asphalt. Regarding your tyres's wall look, haven't you got "run flat" ones ?

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Last edited:
Beside cosmetic effect, the diesel might need bigger rims (15") to accomodate for bigger brake disks. The overall weight might also require larger (195 vs 165) tyres…
From outside a car is not noisier than another similar one (do not apply to Rolls-Royce or Bentley's ;-), but the tyres are, in Europe the manufacturers have to provide the db generated by their product. The road material can also be very noisy for e.g.concrete or much quieter for certain type of asphalt. Regarding your tyres's wall look, haven't you got "run flat" ones ?

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Well, I feel in india our folks who make rules and regulations, never followed traffic rules before they started sitting in those chairs. Like I feel a bit crap, our car standards are quite ducked up, imagining how tough it is to buy a car in India because of the economical system, but so cheap to cars in the west, yet our stuff it’s up to the mark.

My point is, that as the cars price increases or the models like from active to emotion, we have emotion pack as top, then you get better Tyres. All Diesels get 175, R14 only top models emotion pack has 195 r15 Apollo .

Back