Technical Abarth Turbo in 500X

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth Turbo in 500X

Vanders

Would it be possible to transplant a turbo from an Abarth 595 or 695 to a 500X?

Similarly, does anyone know if the Abarth steering wheel would work in the 500X?

Certainly possible, it just depends how good your engineering skills are or how deep your pockets are.

you may be better looking at the Multiair turbo from the 124 abarth as this was at least an engine that was fitted as standard to the 500X and therefore may make for a slightly easier install, especially if the 500x has a 1.4 multiair engine already fitted.

No idea about the steering wheel but its probable you could get one to fit, these types of things tend to be fairly standard across a company like fiat.

It's worth noting they had intended to make an Abarth 500X but I think there was some overlap with other FCA brands like Alfa who where bringing out performance SUVs and so fiat canned the idea as they so often do if they think it will tread on the toes of one of their other brands.

Its a shame as a 500X abarth would have been an interesting car that may have sold well.

Is there a specific reason you want to swap the Abarth? As far as I have been able to work out the output of the AWD 500x and the Abarth are very similar (I don't know how alike the engines are). Have you thought about getting the 170hp tune on a 1.4 multiair?

Certainly possible, it just depends how good your engineering skills are or how deep your pockets are.

you may be better looking at the Multiair turbo from the 124 abarth as this was at least an engine that was fitted as standard to the 500X and therefore may make for a slightly easier install, especially if the 500x has a 1.4 multiair engine already fitted.

No idea about the steering wheel but its probable you could get one to fit, these types of things tend to be fairly standard across a company like fiat.

It's worth noting they had intended to make an Abarth 500X but I think there was some overlap with other FCA brands like Alfa who where bringing out performance SUVs and so fiat canned the idea as they so often do if they think it will tread on the toes of one of their other brands.

Its a shame as a 500X abarth would have been an interesting car that may have sold well.
Thanks for the info. I'd definitely not be doing it myself if I went ahead with it.

Presume the turbo on the 124 is bigger than the standard? Also wasn't aware the Abarth had a different engine.

The concepts for the Abarth 500x are my inspiration. I think it looks brilliant and would love a four door Abarth.

Is there a specific reason you want to swap the Abarth? As far as I have been able to work out the output of the AWD 500x and the Abarth are very similar (I don't know how alike the engines are). Have you thought about getting the 170hp tune on a 1.4 multiair?
I would tune it as well.

Want to get the absolute maximum I can out of one short of trying to transplant a whole engine!

I think larger turbo, tune, lowered with sports brakes, and an Abarth steering wheel would go quite some way to making the Abarth 500x of my dreams.

I am pretty sure you could buy much more powerful SUVs off the shelf so to speak than making your own.

you would never make an Abarth 500X because Abarth never made a 500x, all you would ever have is a Fiat 500X with an Abarth engine transplanted into it.

Fiat used the 1.4 T-jet engine in all the 500 Abarths in europe. They also had the multiair unit in the USA abarths and the Fiat 124 spider. Neither of them were particularlly super powerful for what they were. They made anything up to about 190ish HP in the most highly tuned cars but 155 - 160 ish standard in most Abarth models, which is really not all that when you considered that in the same period VW made a fairly run of the mill 1.4 turbo with 160 hp they used in some golf models.

and I am fairly sure some later models of the 500X came with 170hp engines as an option? so already well passed what a lot of abarth engines were producing.

Even if you then managed to pull it all together and bought a 500x, transplanted an Abarth engine into it and got it all working. you would still have something that looks a lot like a pretty normal 500x while it's comendable you want to do something like this. you can spend a massive amount of time effort and money only to have something that is less powerful then some newer models.

Engine swaps like that are just a nightmare you would need a matching ECU and body computer and it would probably throw faults all day long. I’ve got a 500X with the 1.4 Multiair Turbo. It’s the same as 170 unit but with a smaller turbo. With a large turbo bigger intercooler and a remap you can get around 190bhp. I’ve got that in my Mito race car. The 500 Abarths without the multiair are more tuneable but the map which controls the multiair unit is locked down tuners can only change fuel ignition and boost which are restricted by the electronic valve opening. Doesn’t stop people claiming ridiculous power increases though !

but the map which controls the multiair unit is locked down tuners can only change fuel ignition and boost which are restricted by the electronic valve opening. Doesn’t stop people claiming ridiculous power increases though !
I was not aware of the locked down multiair mapping. Sort of makes sense bearing in mind how the whole system works with no throttle plate and variable inlet valve opening and duration. A lot to "Get Right" (or wrong).

Back