Styling Abarth 595 Turismo project

Currently reading:
Styling Abarth 595 Turismo project

[QUOTE

Ok, that's the grey leather(ish) ripped off, just waiting for the alcantara to arrive to replace it ;)

As I'm going to put the 595 plaque where the chrome 500 was before I need to fill the indents...

I need to get a lot done in a short period of time to be ready for the new forest run![/QUOTE]

I was hoping to be there to see these mods, but cannot make it this time :(

Andy

Have you taken the radio and air vents out of the new car yet? I've found today that the air vents are blocking the install of a double din unit. :mad: and :bang:

More than a little annoyed at the moment so had to walk away and open a cold one.

Hope yours is better.

Fish

You need to cut away the back of the vents to get the double din to fit in.

Cheers Rui, that I guess will be tomorrows job.

Fish

Have you taken the radio and air vents out of the new car yet? I've found today that the air vents are blocking the install of a double din unit. :mad: and :bang:

More than a little annoyed at the moment so had to walk away and open a cold one.

Hope yours is better.

Fish

I knew the vents needed cutting but have needed to get a few bits together before I do anything drastic.

My plan is to do the job in bite size chunks...

1/ cover the spare dash panel in alcantara

2/ take the 8awg cable through the bulkhead to the power cap (had one in the shed for 5 years so thought I'd use it)
Then pick up power from the cig socket to run the DVD player, freeview box and power to the boot for the reverse cam and rear 'dashcam'

3/ remove the old stereo and vents, change the dash panels and install the new stereo

4/. Install the under seat sub

5/ fit the reverse camera and power to the rear cam in the tailgate. Fit sound deadening inside tailgate

6/ remove the door cards and fit the alpine speakers along with some sound deadening.

7/ drive around with a big smile on my face......

All installed, but strangely my headunit is finding the local pirate radio stations but not most of the major stations! So dumb!

Fish

Looking forward to seeing finished pics!
Strange about the radio stations though, with some of the crap on those pirate stations, I imagine that's hell!!

09 Grande Punto Abarth

I managed to get a fair bit done today....

Fitted the front dashcam, not powered as yet, I'm hoping to pick up power from the sunroof or mirror supplies and regulate down to 5v to save taking a cable all the way round the windscreen like I did last time

I then removed the stop light and used the gaps in the panel to pass some cables along

I then pulled out the dreaded tailgate wiring flexible conduit so I could pass the cables through it (!)

To get the cables through I used a cable tie covered in heatshrink which had the right mix of strength and bendyness. It was a bit of a faff (2 hours worth!) but if a job's worth doing and all that....

All back together ;)

Scary hole making!

Ground cables for the two cameras

I thought I had better leave myself a note to remind myself what the cables were!

The wiring for the rear 'dash'cam tidied up, this one needs 12v constant and switched power, and switched power taken down the side of the rear screen along with a coaxial cable for the reverse cam

...and cover back on

Off with the number plate and drill a little hole ;)

Then I found that my number plate surround was designed for a standard size plate, sorry sorry lipscombe... I had to cut your name off the bottom!

And while I had the tailgate in pieces I fitted some sound deadening sheets and foam... The tailgate now shuts with a much more satisfying thunk ;)

....and all put back together!

I also took off the trim panel behind the back window to bring the cables through, they are currently sitting on the boot floor waiting for the connections being brought through from the front. Thats a job for another day :)

Where do you get the power for the reverse camera?

Nice job!
Like, not just nice, but beautiful - great hands :)

Where do you get the power for the reverse camera?

There is a switched 12v cable and a video cable running up the side of the rear screen and joining the other cables going through the tailgate grommet. I am bringing power back from the cig socket as the next task.

Reactions: RUI
I managed a bit of shed time today whilst the wife planted stuff in the garden :)

Rubbed down the '500'

Marked out a rectangle in line with the switches....

Hacked it out roughly...

Then trimmed with a knife...

All nicely trimmed...

Test fit of the plaque

Test run with some LEDs

A bit of angle aluminium cut to size

Ready for me to install the LEDs tomorrow

Last edited:
Back