General 98 Punto 1.2 Weird keys, WHY? HOW? HELP?

Currently reading:
General 98 Punto 1.2 Weird keys, WHY? HOW? HELP?

Snow Ball

Hi,

After having my last car stolen I bought an S reg 1998 1.2 Fiat Punto SX 60 last week.

I was given one large Red key, which starts my car, and opens the boot and petrol cap only, but not the 4 doors.
Plus one smaller Blue key, which opens the 4 doors only, but not the petrol cap or boot. Plus, this key will not start the car.
Hence I have to carry both keys around with me, which makes me worry about losing either one or both.
I have looked in the manual and it says a Code Card should have also been given to me, but it wasn't.

Is there a way of enabling both keys to be copied so that I have a spare set?
Or ideally, both keys made into one main key, so that I don't have to carry both?

If so, then I'll likely get a couple cut, use one, give a spare to my hubby, and lock away the huge red & blue keys somewhere safe.

I have looked through this forum, but all key problems seem different to mine.

I really hope someone can help, I'm paranoid I'll loose my keys, or my handbag will be stolen, and with my luck lately, I don't want to risk anything.(n)

In anticipation.................

first you need to change all the locks so they all use the same key.

then you need to get a new red key cut, one that will fit your new locks and has the same code as the current red key (get current red copied at timpsons, but cut to the new locks)

then you need to get 2 blue keys cut to fit the new locks, but make sure each as a different code to the red and different codes to each other. you can take the codes from the keys of any mk1 punto, bravo brava marea cinq or any fiat with a red key.

then you need to use your new red key to teach the car the new blue keys (easy 1 minute DIY job, details availalbe if you search for the procedure)

alternatively you can skip all the above steps and instead buy a complete lockset with all 3 original keys and the immob codebox (black box behind dash) and the main ecu. they must all come from a single car. fit the ecu and codebox and locks to your car and then you can use the keys. job done.

either way, it isnt expensive or difficult to do.

Hi Jug,

Thanks for reply, all sounds very complicated, costly and hassle for a non technical bod like me. Plus, as mentioned, as my last car was stolen, and the insurance didn't pay out much, I've had to borrow for this new (to me) Punto, so have no cash spare to get the locks changed or another system to replace the old. Was hoping for a cheaper option.

Pretty worried now though, as hate having only one set.:(

Wish I had known before buying the car - seems a bit of a let down on Fiat's side, otherwise a nice car(n)

Hmmmm..........

what I would do is...
find out how to remove the cylinder from the rest of the lock (this is the part that turns when you turn the key.) once removed you put the key that dont work in the keyhole on the cylinder (igniton key into door lock) and you will then see that there are pins sticking out (this is what stops the key working)
you grind these pins down then refit the cylinder.

This will let you use the ignition key to open the doors (also the old door key will still work.)

what I would do is...
find out how to remove the cylinder from the rest of the lock (this is the part that turns when you turn the key.) once removed you put the key that dont work in the keyhole on the cylinder (igniton key into door lock) and you will then see that there are pins sticking out (this is what stops the key working)
you grind these pins down then refit the cylinder.

This will let you use the ignition key to open the doors (also the old door key will still work.)

i agree that would get one key working all the locks, but you cant grind the ignition barrel because the door key wont work the immob, so you need to grind every other lock barrel down to match the red key instead. another issue is that this method will leave the red key in use, and you shouldnt use the red key for starting the engine, only for key programming.

however, you could grind the ignition barrel to work with your blue key and then get the immob decoded by tony- http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/datarecall/

this is easy and cheap, but your car will be easy to steal.

Please don't tell me to look through other post's as have done all morning (whilst supposed to be working) and can't quite find the answers I need.

O.K., too save myself too much hassle as I needed to get on the road fast, I thought I would just go get copies of the two keys I already have, as I decided it would be easier in the mean time to carry the 2 spare keys and keep the originals at home in drawer.

Went to my local key cutter, shoe repair blokey and he didn't say much but cut the keys, one a copy in BLUE of the chunky original RED to start car and open boot, plus a copy of the original BLUE, (which apparently was blank) in BLACK to open doors.

I haven't tried them yet as that night in the pub someone said I shouldn't have had the RED copied, but should have got 2 BLUE copies from the RED??

Now I'm even more confused, why would having 2 BLUE's copied be different to just 1???

Should I go back and get another BLUE copy?

Is my BLUE copy another RED in disguise? If so, can I take it back to be made into a propper BLUE?

What should I have asked for EXACTLY when I walked into local blokies key cutting stall? Clones, Copies, Blanks?

Have read about coding BLUE's from RED, but are the BLUE's Clones, Copies or Blanks, to start off with? Do they come with a different code, do they have to have a different code, does the key cutter add a "made up" code or should I have the code somewhere? I DO NOT have a Code Card?

What should I do now?

Pretty worried as still using RED to run car and sometimes code light stays on when car running, sometimes goes on then off, just don't wan't to scramble my immobilizer.

The doors are irrellavent, it's the ignition key code crap I'm worried about.

Banging my head in despair....

PLEASE HELP!:worship::bang:

Back