Technical 70 Fiat 500 won't go into 3rd gear

Currently reading:
Technical 70 Fiat 500 won't go into 3rd gear

I just removed and replaced the 126 motor and gearbox for a broken bell housing. After re-installing everything it won't go in to third gear. It only grinds and it won't go into reverse. No grinding for reverse, it's like it's still in natural. 1st, 2nd, and 4th are fine. I didn't have this issue before doing the work. I didn't touch the gears and only open the cover to add new gear oil. (As seen in the photo)
I was told to bend the lollypop a little to see if that helps. Does anyone know which way to bend it or have another suggestion?
Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 50
I just removed and replaced the 126 motor and gearbox for a broken bell housing. After re-installing everything it won't go in to third gear. It only grinds and it won't go into reverse. No grinding for reverse, it's like it's still in natural. 1st, 2nd, and 4th are fine. I didn't have this issue before doing the work. I didn't touch the gears and only open the cover to add new gear oil. (As seen in the photo)
I was told to bend the lollypop a little to see if that helps. Does anyone know which way to bend it or have another suggestion?
Thank you
DO NOT BEND THE LOLLIPOP! I will look in my'factory' w/shop manual and see what the correct method of adjustment is--you adjust the gear-change by slightly moving the gear-lever box

DO NOT BEND THE LOLLIPOP! I will look in my'factory' w/shop manual and see what the correct method of adjustment is--you adjust the gear-change by slightly moving the gear-lever box
Apologies for not being able to fully answer your question this morning---was about to leave to go to work, when I saw your query. The gear-lever box is quite simple to adjust. On the RIGHT hand side of the central tunnel, level with the gear lever, you will feel the 13mm head of 2 (8mm) bolts. These hold the gear-lever box on place. Loosen them off slightly and tap them FORWARD to adjust 1st gear and 3rd gear (back to adjust 2nd, 4th and reverse). Having to slightly adjust this box is not unusual after the fitment of a different engine and/or gearbox. But whatever you do---do NOT bend the 'lollipop'

Apologies for not being able to fully answer your question this morning---was about to leave to go to work, when I saw your query. The gear-lever box is quite simple to adjust. On the RIGHT hand side of the central tunnel, level with the gear lever, you will feel the 13mm head of 2 (8mm) bolts. These hold the gear-lever box on place. Loosen them off slightly and tap them FORWARD to adjust 1st gear and 3rd gear (back to adjust 2nd, 4th and reverse). Having to slightly adjust this box is not unusual after the fitment of a different engine and/or gearbox. But whatever you do---do NOT bend the 'lollipop'
Ok thank you. I did see other posts that were close to what problem I had but the problem I was having was a little different. At least I do what you say for the fix. I'll be trying it on Sunday.

Are these the bolts?

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 47
Yes, they are the bolts---you only have to loosen them a little bit, just enough to be able to tap the bolt-heads forward or back. It will only be slight movement that you need.
FIXED! You were correct Hobbler! Thank you so much! I had to pull out both seats to get to the lower bolt because they had seam sealer on it.

Attachments

• 20220409_150021.jpg
    20220409_150021.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 20220409_150014.jpg
    20220409_150014.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 41
Back