Technical 60SX Selector warrning light + no speedo related?

Currently reading:
Technical 60SX Selector warrning light + no speedo related?

Rorcus

Hi all,
I'm looking at a 97 Punto Selector Auto/CVT thingy for my step mum who's long serving 1.4 Auto Astra has finally given up the ghost..

As the car is coming from trade friends I have the car for an extended test drive of a week.

The car itself is very nice condition and drives really well but there's a couple of faults that hopefully are all related to the lack of Speedo working. Firstly the power steering is superlight which I'm assuming is speed variable so as it thinks there is 0mph it keeps the pressure up high.

More worryingly though is the Auto transmission warning light will pop on as soon as you hit 20mph'ish or more and will then stay on until restarted. Will lack of speedo cause this? i.e does the gearbox electronics think "ooh I'm under load and changing gear but were not moving.... PANIC!!" and are the 97 Punto's speedo's eleccy sensor in gearbox or cable driven?

I've also noticed the gearbox tends to make a whine a bit like a manual gearbox or reversing sound that normal autos don't usually do, is this just a normal sound for CVT? (it's not uber loud or anything just different from an auto and I've never driven a CVT based car before)

Cheers
Jason. (y)

I've also noticed the gearbox tends to make a whine a bit like a manual gearbox or reversing sound that normal autos don't usually do, is this just a normal sound for CVT? (it's not uber loud or anything just different from an auto and I've never driven a CVT based car before)

Cheers
Jason. (y)

Hi Jason, Welcome to FF.

Yes, CVT's do have a 'wine', and is perfectly normal.

I don't know alot about Punto Selecta's, but am into my Panda Selecta's which are similar.

Could you post a pic of the warning lights that come up please?

Jon.

Back