Technical 5th gear

Currently reading:
Technical 5th gear

No! The fifth gear housing has a drain hole to the main box.
Oh, OK. I was assuming that because it works on the "splash system " that the oil level was below the 5th gear. I am trying to get some info on which cogs or synchroniser I will need. Have searched the gearbox for a part number but cannot find anything. I was hoping to remove the cover and maybe find some part numbers.

Oh, OK. I was assuming that because it works on the "splash system " that the oil level was below the 5th gear. I am trying to get some info on which cogs or synchroniser I will need. Have searched the gearbox for a part number but cannot find anything. I was hoping to remove the cover and maybe find some part numbers.
You may be correct, but not worth the risk. I doubt that you will find a part number on the gears themselves. I have an alternative ratio pair at my feet, and they are each marked with numbers of teeth both gears, and some other codes, but not the part numbers.

I have not had occasion to use it myself, but ePER (electronic Parts Equipment Register) at top of page, is frequently recommended. You will need your VIN.

You may be correct, but not worth the risk. I doubt that you will find a part number on the gears themselves. I have an alternative ratio pair at my feet, and they are each marked with numbers of teeth both gears, and some other codes, but not the part numbers.

I have not had occasion to use it myself, but ePER (electronic Parts Equipment Register) at top of page, is frequently recommended. You will need your VIN.
Shouldn't there a gearbox code stamped on the gearbox somewhere, if so have you any clue where it might be.

When you say alternative ratio, where did you get the information from? I've been in touch with Fiat and to be honest they don't want to know. Gave the VIN Number as well.

e did you get the information from? I've been in touch with Fiat and to be honest they don't want to know. Gave the VIN Num
Shouldn't there a gearbox code stamped on the gearbox somewhere, if so have you any clue where it might be.
1. Fifth gear on the x244 model is a large change up from fourth. Need to be over 50mph to change up. There used to be an option of a "lower ratio" gear pair for the MLGU box as fitted to x244 models, but it was perhaps too low. A while back I chanced upon a thread on the Italian forum Camperonline. The proposal was to use an intermediate ratio gear pair. Translation of article is attached.
2. See attached extract from eLearn.

Attachments

• MLGU Gearbox Modification.pdf
    78.5 KB · Views: 51
  • MLGU Box.pdf
    294.4 KB · Views: 39
Mine is the 2.3 JTD, I'm wondering if this info is relative to mine. By the way, I very much appreciate your help with this
Fiat eLearn quotes all the same ratios for 2.3jtd and 2.8jtd. Different for other engines.

I have managed to source the parts they come in at£450, quite expensive from Augustin group. Do you think l will require a new sinchronisor as well.

I have managed to source the parts they come in at£450, quite expensive from Augustin group. Do you think l will require a new sinchronisor as well.
I managed to source gears and stake nut separately for under £200 in total.. Gears came from Ebay, and nut from Serie 04, quite recently. I have yet to install, as essential maintenance on other vehicles has priority. It is a long term project!

You should not require a new synchroniser, unless the original is giving problems when engaging gear.

I managed to source gears and stake nut separately for under £200 in total.. Gears came from Ebay, and nut from Serie 04, quite recently. I have yet to install, as essential maintenance on other vehicles has priority. It is a long term project!

You should not require a new synchroniser, unless the original is giving problems when engaging gear.
Good morning, I have managed to get the gears with your advise I am pleased to say. You don't happen to know the part number for the retainer nuts you bought do you? I've been on the serie 04 site and it's not the easiest to use.

Back