General 58 ltr fuel tank

Currently reading:
General 58 ltr fuel tank

just flicking through brochure and found fuel tank is 58 ltr which was a supprise as the most ive ever got in it was 47.0ltrs and that was less than 20 miles to go on trip and light had been on for 80 miles(was trying to get 500 miles from tank).i usually fill up at 100 to go when light comes on and get 43-44 ltrs.what sort of capacity do you get in tank? wheres the last 11 ltrs hiding?

I've got a petrol receipt here with a 54.8 litres fill up on it so the space is there somewhere. The miles to empty is a calc based on your present rate of consumption ie your fuel remaining x inst consumption so it will depend what you're doing at the time- crawling in 2nd gear and it won't be many miles- cruising in 5th and it could be quite a distance

I didn't think the range to empty went to zero, mine resorts to ---- when the level is too low to be reliable

Many filler pumps click off early too giving a not full to capacity tank

Last edited:
The most i've fillep up with recently is £62 at an asda petrol station. At esso or texaco, the most i can manage is £55 and it doesnt go any further even though when i get back in the car and start her up, of the 8 fuel notches, its only just a bit more than 7.

Mines a 1.6 if that makes any difference?

I managed to squeeze 54 litres of diesel into mine the other day - couldn't risk running it any lower. Mind you, it was a squeeze to get that much in ;)

Just checked back... going well into the red got fills of 56, 57 & 58.41 litres on the 1.6... the 58.41 was Range ---.-- + 20 miles ;)

On the JTD a 57.29 Litre fill was the most extreme. Tend to find somewhere between 52 - 54 litres the low fuel warning message & light make an appearance and Fiat quote a reserve of 6 litres, which I assume is the bit covered by the red sector on the fuel guage & accompanying warning light.

Tend to find that guages on both 1.6 & JTD fall quickly from quarter of a tank and that computer range estimates once your down that low seem 'optimistic'...

I managed 58.15L on my JTD last night and I still had a range of 42 miles!

I was going to fill it on the friday but got stuck in traffic and wasn't in the mood, glad I left it as the the same petrol station had dropped 4p/l in that time!

£67.98 is still a bit steep though :(

I managed 58.15L on my JTD last night and I still had a range of 42 miles!

I was going to fill it on the friday but got stuck in traffic and wasn't in the mood, glad I left it as the the same petrol station had dropped 4p/l in that time!

£67.98 is still a bit steep though :(

You realise how close you were to 'chug chug stop'?

The tank has a reserve so you never get down to the very bottom of the tank. When the needle says 'empty' Fiat expect you to put more fuel in. If damage were to occour they could reasonably say that you drove the car outside the 'safe' margins.

Of course it's very unlikely that damage would occour but the reserve tank is there for a reason - not just for extra range!

You realise how close you were to 'chug chug stop'?

I know it's not big and not clever. From experience, I also know that priming a diesel fuel system after running it empty is not a pleasant job, I ended up doing it on a Ducato that somebody else had run dry (n)

Recent fill after low fuel warning came on was 52 litres and less than £60 :D

Last edited:
Back