General 500X Review

Currently reading:
General 500X Review

007Seats

A hidden gem - the post-2018 facelifted 500X is much maligned in the press for some reason. The truth is that this Fiat is solidly built, offers excellent new, perky petrol engines and has the charm and fun factor missing from almost every other, rather bland, rival. No squeaks, no rattles, a sweet-sounding 1.0 engine, plenty of space for four plus luggage - plus look at the safety scores carefully and you'll find a crash structure with very high driver, front and rear passenger scores. The 500X is interesting, good to drive and characterful. Fiat have done an excellent job, and this car deserves not to be overlooked.

Attachments

• PXL_20230125_133420636~3.jpg
    PXL_20230125_133420636~3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
Look I'm biassed but also a long time Fiat owner.

Every man and their dog, including journalists, have never really in the UK given any credance to any Fiat/Alfa/Lancia vehicle. When they do it is either an after thought or because the European press gave a "Car of The Year Award".

The UK will forever be (sadly) a Ford and GM driven market with Fleet sales driving the whole vehicle economy from dealers, to hire cars, to parts supply, independent garages, etc.

I doubt this "Fiat last" mantra will ever be changed in the UK. I could be wrong, with my 50+ years of Fiat ownership and loyal support for the brand and their cars here in the UK, but I don't see anything changing.

Fiat
Fiat & GM
Fiat & PSA

Is the next morph to be

Ford & Fiat
VW & Fiat
Merc & Fiat
BMW & Fiat
???

Every man and their dog, including journalists, have never really in the UK given any credance to any Fiat/Alfa/Lancia vehicle. When they do it is either an after thought or because the European press gave a "Car of The Year Award".

The UK will forever be (sadly) a Ford and GM driven market with Fleet sales driving the whole vehicle economy from dealers, to hire cars, to parts supply, independent garages, etc.

I doubt this "Fiat last" mantra will ever be changed in the UK. I could be wrong, with my 50+ years of Fiat ownership and loyal support for the brand and their cars here in the UK, but I don't see anything changing.

Fiat
Fiat & GM
Fiat & PSA

Is the next morph to be

Ford & Fiat
VW & Fiat
Merc & Fiat
BMW & Fiat
???
Although I sold my 500X 4 years ago (nothing wrong with the car, just a bit small for me) I still look at them and think they are attractive and distinctive in an ocean of SUVs.
Not sure the UK is Ford dominated any more - they seem to be giving up on any model that isn't an SUV. Stellantis seem in a much stronger position.

Fiat
Fiat & GM
Fiat & PSA

Is the next morph to be

Ford & Fiat
VW & Fiat
Merc & Fiat
BMW & Fiat
???
I must horn in here! As a one-time, long-ago BMC "mechanic" in a small, university town in midwest USA, the absolute worse car systems were British. I was a 23 year-old kid in college working part-time who was willing to tackle anything the experienced shop guys refused to handle. So wheel balacing and electrical fell to me. This was '62 to '64 when Lucas was the brand of choice for anything electrical. The German Bosch and Italian (can't remember), Japanese Nippon-Denso were so far ahead of Lucas to be not funny. So Fiat was back then ahead of BMC in my opinion.

The Brits also seem to "freeze" a design forever. Take for instance, hand clutch, foot shift on motorcycles. Excellent, huge improvement over the Harley-Davidson (and others) foot clutch, hand shift. Great idea but the retention of Lucas, plain bearings and separate engine-transmission were cast in concrete to never change.

The Yanks were slow to adopt disc brakes while you guys in The Isles and Europe led the way! I think I had an unsubstantiated opinion of Italian manufacturing ability until I got that beat-up Fiat 600D. That little car changed my mind. So did my first motorcycle, a 1960 Honda Hawk 250. I did restore a 1955 BSA A-10 650 cc but the only things retained electrical were the magneto and generator. Made my own wiring harness and used a Delco voltage regulator.

For some reason the press always dis FIATs
I think the 500x is great, although not tried the hybrid
We've had our 500x 1.3 Sport for 14 months and I really like it, overall performance and handling is pretty good
I have said for years, if there was a Volkswagen Group or Ford badge on a Tipo or 500x, the press would be going mad over them.
When I have given people lifts, they are always surprised at how good it is. The press won't let them shake off the old Fix It Again Tony image
The new one will be based on the JEEP Avenger architecture, which has just won car of the year, so hopefully the reviews will get better

Back