General 500e, dashcam, and resisting dealership

Currently reading:
General 500e, dashcam, and resisting dealership

ostefano

Hi,

I will soon be the owner of a new 500e bought from an official FCA dealership (yay!)
Couple of days ago I have asked the dealership options to install a dashcam (possibly front and rear).

The answer I received back quoted their parts manager refusing the job because of "prior experiences" and "lack of training"?
Is that normal from an official FCA dealership? They even suggested to rely on Halfords!

Is installing a dashcam that difficult on a 500e?
I have also asked the dealership details re the manufacturer's warranty and whether a third-party (like Halfords) would void it.
They still have reply to this...

Fiat is one of the few manufacturers who don’t have their own brand of dash cam or any deal with one of the major makers which is why there is maybe a lack of training, there is no officially fiat camera to add so no need to train their staff.

Auto electrician is the way I’d go, look for someone with a good reputation as it’s a brand new and very expensive electric car you want someone who knows what they are doing and is not going to blow up the dash cam connecting it to something higher voltage then they should

Thanks to everybody!

Just out of curiosity, why Halfords wouldn't be the best way forward?
Are they considerably worse than a local auto electrician?

(never had a car before, so no experience on the matter :S)

Thanks to everybody!

Just out of curiosity, why Halfords wouldn't be the best way forward?
Are they considerably worse than a local auto electrician?

(never had a car before, so no experience on the matter :S)

Because they're not auto electricians. Often they're teenagers with little training (not their fault) and no real incentive for any quality of work.

Because they're not auto electricians. Often they're teenagers with little training (not their fault) and no real incentive for any quality of work.
And because of the lack of training they can break clips and damage trim which is the last thing you want on a new car.

Even a single broken clip on an interior trim piece can result in annoying rattles

Back