General 500 Windscreen Replacement

Currently reading:
General 500 Windscreen Replacement

Anyone had the windscreen replaced on their 500?. I have a cracked screen due to stone thrown up by HCG and need to get it replaced and wondered if anyone could recommend a company. I'd like it to be of original quality and look and obviously need to find someone quickly as the crack is getting longer every time i use the car.

Wow, Just reviving this thread as I am contemplating buying another 500 which has a broken windscreen so I thought I would give Autoglass a call and find out how much it cost.

Anyone care to guess? Scroll down for the answer!

£417.37, wow!!!
get other quotes that sounds ridiculously high.

Wow, Just reviving this thread as I am contemplating buying another 500 which has a broken windscreen so I thought I would give Autoglass a call and find out how much it cost.

Anyone care to guess? Scroll down for the answer!

£417.37, wow!!!
That's what I'd expect. Did you think they were going to cut a rectangle of gas's for 20 quid and melt it into shape for another 5?

I had mine done on insurance due to a lovely circular crack. Cost £75 and didn't impact the premium.

Only issue was the company doing it were numpties. They were told I wanted an OEM screen and duly turned up with an off-brand one. Got told where to go and took another two weeks to find an OEM. However, once fitted it was perfect and they did a good job.

Autoglass don't use genuine fiat windscreens. If you insist on the original fist one they will charge you the difference.
When I had mine done I was told I had no option but to have the non gen one but after the event the branch manager told me you can in fact insist on original... You just have to pay the difference.
Was a bit annoyed at first but doesn't really bother me now ( not that I'm ocd about my car lol)
Hope this helps.

I guess that was a genuine Fiat one. Couldn't care less whether it came from Fiat or not, so will shop around

We had one replaced on our old POP but we were insured with Fiat Insurance and a genuine Fiat windscreen was used to replace the cracked one.

I have personally bought replacement windscreens before and had them fitted by a local company, usual cost around 40 quid.

Take a look at the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-500-...929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f79e4f79

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
We had one replaced on our old POP but we were insured with Fiat Insurance and a genuine Fiat windscreen was used to replace the cracked one.

I have personally bought replacement windscreens before and had them fitted by a local company, usual cost around 40 quid.

Take a look at the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-500-3D-HBK-WINDSCREEN-SUPPLY-ONLY-/171658071929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f79e4f79
That's more like it, £105 + fitting. Never thought to look on Ebay, thanks

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
"Call your insurer" is the stock answer if you're comprehensively insured. Your inbound call gets switched to the prevailing nominated repairer, usually one of the big names.

In order for one of these companies to bag such a deal, the bottom line is usually price; most of these 'contracts' are swayed with an 'average invoice value' deal and if you're keen on getting that insurer's business you're going to have to beat the previous repairer's AIV deal. This has been going on for quite some time and that AIV is now lower than a snake's belly.

With very tight profit margins, the emphasis is very much on volume. The only other option to maximise the bottom line is to buy glass/parts cheap. Cue: aftermarket glass from all over the globe; some is OK, some is not. Generally speaking, the best quality is OEM (car manufacturer branded). If a piece of glass does not bear the car manufacturer's identifying crest/emblem/logo, it is not genuine. Even if the glass manufacturer is the same, it does not necessarily mean it is the same 'unstamped' glass. In fact, it rarely ever is. There are only a few examples of branded/non-branded glass being the same product.

More here.

The aftermarket copies are much, much cheaper. Do the Pepsi challenge against a genuine version and you will usually see why it is so.

Re insurance. A lot of the terms and conditions - especially for non contracted repairers - require that the 'best available parts and materials are used'.

When a repairer tries to charge you a supplement for genuine parts, is there anything in your policy which states this? No? Funny that, because there rarely ever is, so under what terms are you 'required' to pay any extra? It's an insurance policy which indemnifies you for loss. At what point does it stipulate that the cheapest available parts will be used unless you pay extra? These are salient points which should be made reasonably clear before inception. A proposing insurer is required to do this.

Last edited:
Back