General 500 front wheel arch liner replacement

Currently reading:
General 500 front wheel arch liner replacement

Moonraker25

How easy/awkward is it to change a front wheel arch liner? And is there a recommended source for a replacement?
My drivers side arch liner has come adrift on the front lower screw, rubbed a narrow slot in it on the tyre, and lost the inspection cover behind the lights. I have pushed it back in place but it keeps popping back out, so I assume the screw has lost it's 'bite'.
I am torn between just keeping the existing liner with a small slot in it, using a bigger gauge screw to hold the lower corner in place and getting a new/used inspection cover. Or replace the lot (which may still require a larger screw size).
Sorry for the many words about such a trivial thing, but it is really annoying me!

I got one for my panda, but needed to fit bigger screws anyway as it had been pulled out…wife’s replacement one for Renegade came complete EXCEPT for inspection/bulb cover. So, if you order one, make sure you know what you’re getting

If the screw has lost its bite then you need to replace the fastener that it screws in to and all will be cool again.

Where it screws into metal, it will likely have a plastic captive "nut" or pad with a hole in it. They're reasonably cheap, though expensive for what they are (e.g. a quid each) and you tend to have to buy multiples of 5 etc.

If the screw is one that screws into a tab on the bumper, then there's a spire aka speed nut. The flare in the rear section tends to wear out, or corrode and fall off, depending on the design. The biggest aggro is buying the right size, since they're sized in Klingon. If the screw is 3.5mm then it's a "no.6", if it's 4.17mm then it's a "no.8". I tend to buy packs of each size so that I always have both rather than faff about.

The plastic pad just pops out from behind and a new one clicks into the round or square hole. The Speed nuts slide onto the plastic tab that you're screwing the liner to. Hopefully the tab hasn't been bashed/broken off over the years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32235226...purC3xJsCZUu2AYMlsB/9oqxAx|tkp:Bk9SR8TeoKPqYQ

Ralf S.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You "can" get new plastic inserts for the self tapping screws but sellers are not good at describing their items. I did note that Fiat and Ford use different sizes.

I drilled out the stripped plastic, fitted M6 Rivnuts and used dome head socket screws with 20mm washers. That's overkill but what I had to hand and its reliable. Coat the cut metal edges and the rivnut with antisieze to ward off corrosion and coat stainless screws end to end.

I think the part number for the plastic inserts is 1100203 and the screw is 2272286

I got replacements from AECar for not too much money.

Back