Technical 500 1.2 daytime running light issue

Currently reading:
Technical 500 1.2 daytime running light issue

winkyone

Hello Fiat team!

So, I have searched this forum and found that this could be a glitch on our machines.

Basically, the SID told me I had 'daytime running light' issue. Sure enough the front drivers side (LHD) lower light of the three was not on. SO, changed the bulb and hey presto........still did not come on with the daytime running lights activated.

I turned the lights fully on and high beam and ALL the lights work including the light that did not work when the daytime running light was turned on.

I have disabled it for the moment....but can anyone shed any light on this please! It can't be a fuse because it works when on high beam.......

Thank you in advance,

M

The light should be dim when the headlights are on whether high or low beam and bright when the headlights are off, the bulb should have two filaments like this one
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...ghting/lighting1/car-bulb/?481770910&&cc5_401

as typecastboy suggests poor contacts may be the problem remove bulb and gently bend outwards the contact wires also checking its the correct type of bulb(not a identical single filament one)

Hello!

That is not my bulb sadly...this is it, an all in one unit, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262029977842?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As I said, it works well when on full beam,..just not properly with daytime running lights...mine is a 2013 if this helps.

Thanks,

M

The bulb you posted is the full beam bulb, it is not the single bulb that provides the DRL/side light bulb to the best of my knowledge, easily seen looking in the front of the light above the main beam one.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
DRL and sidelights are the same bulb, but with two filaments. One on, and one off depending on the light switch and the menu. You don't have both filaments on at the same time.

With the light switch on the stalk off and DRLs enabled on the menu, both DRLs should be on with the ignition on.

With the light switch on the stalk on, no matter what you have the DRLs set for, they go off, and the side lights come on. At the same time, the headlights come on and you can swap from dipped to full beam with the stalk.

The full beam bulb is inside the DRL/sidelight housing.
The dipped beam is at the top along with the indicator.

Hope that helps,
Mick.

Picture of light the drl bulb is the top one (blue in my case) it's "white white" when on.
Oh and once fixed remember to cable tie on the access cover or they tend to go missing

Attachments

• 20170414_152749.jpg
    20170414_152749.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 317
Last edited:
OK...thanks for this...Wife is out driving it around Noddy style now...so will have to check later...maybe it was me after all! I hope it is an easy fix.....

Picture of light the drl bulb is the top one (blue in my case) it's "white white" when on.
Oh and once fixed remember to cable tie on the access cover or they tend to go missing

OK..so thats the fella on the top....the larger round bulb....I'l change that one and see what happens. Thanks for the tip on the cable tie........and I thought my Saab was a bit quirky.......

Last edited:
I think John202020....it is indeed possible I looked at the wrong bulb...!

The drl bulb holder it at the very top and tricky to remove you can use a open end spanner to help turn the holder and overall its easier to remove with the wheel removed(use a proper axle stand not the jack to support the car)
This range of bulbs are the best I've found H1 main beam, H7 Dip beam(top light unit)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-X...hash=item3f3d2130a9:m:mLR8waI-mtI3N8ud7UCkHLQ

These are the DRL bulbs I used to give a nice crisp white light colour during daytime
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-DRL-SU...404244?hash=item4170fb7e14:g:rFEAAOSwyjBW2enn

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
so, Wife back and just had a go.............well, I just can't get my little hands into the housing, even with wheel at full lock. I assume I grab the light fitting turn it anti clockwise and it should come out...just can't get in there....do I really have to remove the wheel?!

You don't have to remove the wheel. It's best done standing in front of the car and reaching around into the arch. Really easy when you do it a couple of times.

....do I really have to remove the wheel?!
Basically, yes.
Some folk can do it, but I cannot at all.

Jack the car up and take off the wheel. Make sure you're safe under there with an axle stand or somesuch. With the cover off, you can see inside. A decent torch helps to see inside.

It's much easier with long-nosed pliers or a suitable spanner - I prefer the pliers technique so you can keep hold of the blighter. Turn anti-clockwise a quarter turn to release. The bulb just pulls out of the holder.

Refit is just the reverse, but do not allow the bulb to fall out inside the housing like I did. :cry:
I got it out using a vacuum cleaner and thin flexy hose to suck it out. Other than that, you need to take the bumper off.

Just be careful and don't rush the job.

Good luck,
Mick.

so, Wife back and just had a go.............well, I just can't get my little hands into the housing, even with wheel at full lock. I assume I grab the light fitting turn it anti clockwise and it should come out...just can't get in there....do I really have to remove the wheel?!

It can be done without removing the wheel but it's much easier if you do, try the spanner trick to get it moving sometimes it's easier to use "the wrong hand" too
Test the bulb works before putting all back together!

Last edited:
[ame]https://youtu.be/r72zW2-rWB4[/ame]

No need to turn a minor procedure into open heart surgery by taking a wheel off.

Bear in mine I filmed this with one hand whilst doing it with the other hand.

Back