General 4th year service- cambelt required?

Currently reading:
General 4th year service- cambelt required?

My 1.6 Multijet Eco will be 4 next year. What's the current recommedation for cam belts on that engine?

Thanks

mines in there now, getting done, going picking her up shortly to see what the bill is.

Already had the phone call saying my rear brakes are "almost down to the metal" but i do them myself, pads are £25 and they want £90 for doing them. Something to do on saturday!!

BBS is it just the belt or belt and service your having? What have they quoted out of interest?

had fiats gold service done, cambelt kit (bearings belt) and water pump. Paid £385 all in, and they have also done a few little niggles i had as well that i didnt get round to doing myself (knocking front suspension common in the sport, adjustment/lubrication of gear linkage)

i got a bollocking about the tiny amount of oil left in it but when i checked it before booking the service there was still more than minimum in it. The engine takes under 3 litres from dry anyway!

had fiats gold service done, cambelt kit (bearings belt) and water pump. Paid £385 all in, and they have also done a few little niggles i had as well that i didnt get round to doing myself (knocking front suspension common in the sport, adjustment/lubrication of gear linkage)

i got a bollocking about the tiny amount of oil left in it but when i checked it before booking the service there was still more than minimum in it. The engine takes under 3 litres from dry anyway!

That's a very reasonable price for a service including a cambelt and water pump.
I've come from VAG cars where you'd pay that much or more just for the cambelt change on it's own!

Am I correct in thinking that the services are fixed price for all models or am I dreaming thinking I'll manage to get them to do my 1.6 MJ for that price?

I've just phoned one of my two local dealers and they reckoned 5 years and 72k for the cambelt on the 1.6 Eco, and quoted about £230 for the fourth year service.

I'll try the other later, but if it's only £150 different to get it done I'd err on the safe side and change it at 4.

Last edited:
where abouts in the UK are you Zoidberg?

My experience with Fiats fixed pricing is rather good, only my Bravo usually ends up costing a touch more as its a sport and apparently only likes expensive spark plugs.

I have a mate who works in a garage and he couldnt do the work with fiat bits for that price. i priced just the cambelt and water pump and that came out over a ton before labour.

I have used this Fiat garage for all servicing (bar year 1 service) and warranty work and have never had a problem with them. the first year service was at the dealer i got the car from (who have since gone bust) and they left me with an oil leak and a bill for missing covers they forgot to put back on.

Bromsgrove in the West Mids, so I have Redditch and Stourbridge as my easy options.

I spoke to my local Fiat dealer. They are very new to Fiat, having given up on Hyundai in 2010 and taking on a Fiat franchise. They quoted me around £300 to change the timing belt and water pump on my 1.4 T-Jet 150 Bravo.

And according to their autodata, the water pump IS driven by the timing belt. So, to be honest, it's a false economy to not replace the water pump at the same time as the cambelt.

shes had a new airfilter to, the first change since new, and now the engine note sounds different when cold then goes back to normal when up to temp.

it sounds like an intake noise som im presuming its that, but can new timing gear take time to bed in?

never done a cambelt change on any of my cars before as i usually get shut just as its required

shes had a new airfilter to, the first change since new, and now the engine note sounds different when cold then goes back to normal when up to temp.

it sounds like an intake noise som im presuming its that, but can new timing gear take time to bed in?

never done a cambelt change on any of my cars before as i usually get shut just as its required

Nah, the timing gear doesn't need to bed in. Once the tension is set, that's it.

I bought myself a workshop manual CD off ebay, and it seems quite a lengthy process to do the timing belt. It involves removing spark plugs and inserting some kind of probe to measure the piston position (have to have all four in line rather than one at TDC which is the norm), and once you have the belt off you need to remove the cam pulley and it's then refitted loosely with the new belt, and tightened to the cam once the belt is tensioned.

I would reckon what's more likely in your case is that something is slightly dislodged on the intake side, either the air intake pipe to the filter, the pipework from the filter to the engine, or even the lid for the air filter box. Or it could just be that the new filter is slightly different construction to the old one, so makes a bit more noise.

Back