Technical 270 doors and fitting factory style glass windows?

Currently reading:
Technical 270 doors and fitting factory style glass windows?

I've also done trim with a hot air gun its a case of diminishing returns the surface get more and more prone to weathering so you end up painting them in the long run. Bumper/trim paint from rustoleum and plastkote is good long term. Short term I've found that plastikote bbq paint is a good solution for black plastic that lasts a couple of years, simple to apply, simple to remove, simple to touch up, flexible. Originally I had the end of a can and decided to try it on rear door step trims. Found you can wipe it on with a sponge or lint free cloth with some thinners so no need for masking, when it gets damaged or scratched you can wipe on some more, no worry about overspray etc.

Thanks! The colour change, even after wrecking that 10 year old piece of trim, was so slight that I'll not attempt any more heat gun. I think the Ducato trim resists UV damage pretty well.

I left that scrapyard trim outside and the Astonish product completely washed off in the rain. The Chela Restore did not and still looks good. The product says that the restored surface can still be cleaned afterwards. The company is owned by the sister of a friend of mine. I will see if I can find out what their formula is and maybe source a product that is available for average Joes?

Painting the trim is still an option - lots of choices there, thank you. After I used the brake fluid to get the overspray off the trim, it all came up looking pretty good.

I'm torn between the stealth look and obnoxious racevan look.

For the forseeable, I'm sticking with the factory white paint. In the next week or two, I'm gonna compound the less than perfect resprayed areas and generally polish up the whole van.

generally polish up the whole van.
You might find you have bitten off more than you can chew because its a big area to polish.
I just polish the bonnet because its the most noticed part, and it makes it easier to get the flies off.

I'm borrowing an electric buffer - I've already got the G3 and applicator sponges. Did I mention I love my van? :D

MaxxFan and Silent Coat arrives tomorrow. (y)

I'm borrowing an electric buffer - I've already got the G3 and applicator sponges. Did I mention I love my van? :D

MaxxFan and Silent Coat arrives tomorrow. (y)

Would be interested to hear how you get on with them.
The only buffer I have had I bought in the woolworths closing down sale. It was pretty useless at polishing the car so I binned it.

I used to have one similar to the woolworths buffer - used it for years before I gave it to my father-in-law. They seem to be generic and stickered for RAC, Halfords, etc. They work really well for polishing good paintwork with only light pressure, but don't have enough torque for compound.

The one I'm borrowing is an autoshop style buffer - looks a bit like an angle grinder. At a push, the pads can fit a drill too. If I get on well with it, I might just invest in a good one for myself.

I bought a couple of cheap 8" variable speed buffers (angle grinder style) many years ago for buffing up all my restored cars and one buffer finally died quite recently. I still have my 'good' buffer in its box and one day it may have to do some work when my second cheapy dies.

Technique is the secret ingredient whether a cheapy or a top shelf unit along with quality pads and polishes as you probably already know. Hand polishing these days, has feathers on it but for an expert, the finish can be quite acceptable.

I'm looking forward to seeing your van polished. It's amazing how good these vans can look when they're cleaned up properly. I may have to get motivated and polish mine again soon.

The MaxxFan is in....

Battery went flat on the camera, so I'm transferring the footage soon to see what I got before it died. I have the camera plugged into a 10,000mAh USB battery to keep it topped up, but Sony don't allow charging while recording. I recorded a couple of hour long chunks and that did the battery.

By the time I was charged up again, I'd already finished the job just as the sun went down.

newdoors.jpg

The answer to my OP question is NO, factory style flat glass windows will NOT work with 270 degree doors. There is not enough clearance and the glass would be crushed by the hinge.

I removed the old, dented doors with their 270degree hinges and swapped for 2 clean 2014 doors with 180 hinges. They came from the scrappy with all the fittings, seals, etc. complete. Colour match is good.

I'll debadge and strip what good parts I can salvage from the old doors before they go for scrap. I want to keep my Maxi badged as a Maxi. :rolleyes:

The bolt holes on the van are the same for both types of hinges. Without measuring the doors, I believe the doors are the same for both types of hinge. With only one new door fitted, I could close it against the other old door.

The bolt hole for rubber bumper with standard bottom hinges isn't used on 270hinges.

You will probably notice that I didn't fit the new rear trim that I got from the scrappy as it is not for a MAXI - reflectors only, no integrated foglight in the offside trim. The MAXI is taller, so the fog light in the cluster is above the legal height.

Back