Technical 2018 Euro6B manual gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical 2018 Euro6B manual gearbox

Steve928

I'm trying to identify the manual gearbox in my 2018-build 150bhp Euro6B Ducato (for future oil changes etc.).
I'm quite familiar with the MLGU6 (and the MLGU5 5 speed) boxes having previously done oil changes through the breather cap on the top but this looks nothing like them - yet parts searches etc. suggest that the MLGU6 is still the current manual box.

The familiar breather doesn't exist and instead now seems to part of the selector 'tower' which bolts on top of the box, the speedo drive is very different - there's nothing familiar at all.
Hard to take pictures without some dismantling but I will try if needs be.
Can anyone help me in my confusion..?

Not sure this will be much help but here's a pic.
Pic1 is an MLGU6 off Ebay - black breather cap on top, odd shaped speedo drive into the front side of the bellhousing.
Pic2 is mine - braided pipe (just testing) is on what appears to be the breather, speedo drive is circular and on top.
Seems like a completely different unit.

. p1.JPGp2.jpg

I'll do a little more searching in a bit, but I have the same engine and vintage as you.

My understanding is that for and from the 6B engines, because the maximum torque is significantly higher in the 150 than the 130, it was fitted with a different box to the 130 (which would, I think, be the MLGU6).

I've driven both Euro 5 and Euro6B 150s, and the gearbox does feel noticeably different.

Edited to add:

I've found what I was looking for - it should, I think, be an M40 gearbox. (and I understand this uprated box might also be the basis of all the comfortmatic versions as well).

Last edited:
Thanks Hugh, yes that checks out, it is indeed an M40 - previously fitted to the 3L powerplant.
From the documentation I've found it has 2x drain plugs and even a filler plug, a rarity these days.
Most helpful, thanks.

...and there's a fairy decent technical write-up in the download here:

(When you select to download, you will be offered two manuals. Both are of interest, but the contents relevant to this thread are in the "1st Training Manual", which largely covers the 3.0L engine and its (M40) transmission).

Thanks - I already had the first document just hadn't thought to look through it as I didn't know I had an M40..
Some great information in there.

I've been under the van this morning and the filler plug exists and is easy enough to get at. The 2 drain plugs appear to have now been combined into 1 in a slightly different location on the differential housing.
Should make the job easy enough when required - better than trying to squeeze oil down a tiny breather.

Back