Technical 2014 Fiat 500 non turbo No Compression on Cyl. 1. Intake rocker not aligned with cam lobe!

Currently reading:
Technical 2014 Fiat 500 non turbo No Compression on Cyl. 1. Intake rocker not aligned with cam lobe!

Russ5728451

My sisters car has no compression on cylinder 1 and others 150 ish. Investigation found #1 intake rocker is not lined up to the cam lobe meaning sitting half off. Multi air box looks good and moving free but need to know what could cause this and if I need to remove the head and check the intake valves on that cylinder? Need a little guidance since this the first multi air box I have worked on.

I also did a dry and wet compression and made no difference. #1 plug was gas filed and coil had good spark and all other plugs were dark smutty looking. I replaced all coils and plugs and still missing on Cyl. 1

My sisters car has no compression on cylinder 1 and others 150 ish. Investigation found #1 intake rocker is not lined up to the cam lobe meaning sitting half off. Multi air box looks good and moving free but need to know what could cause this and if I need to remove the head and check the intake valves on that cylinder? Need a little guidance since this the first multi air box I have worked on.
Here is the picture of the rocker misalignment

Attachments

• 72585131107__23D0CB19-C6E4-4571-9E16-8D7459DB189F.jpeg
    72585131107__23D0CB19-C6E4-4571-9E16-8D7459DB189F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 72585128592__37E2EBCC-3911-4959-9A70-210131888C80.jpeg
    72585128592__37E2EBCC-3911-4959-9A70-210131888C80.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
I know nothing about your model but from a 70 year old mechanics perspective it looks like a pressed on cam lobe has come adrift from the cam shaft in the last pic, not something I have ever seen.
If that is the case. you would be looking at a cylinder head off and a top end rebuild with new cam and follower/rockers etc.:(

I know nothing about your model but from a 70 year old mechanics perspective it looks like a pressed on cam lobe has come adrift from the cam shaft in the last pic, not something I have ever seen.
If that is the case. you would be looking at a cylinder head off and a top end rebuild with new cam and follower/rockers etc.:(
Found the 4 followers are stuck. I need to buy one of the pot metal nuts on the multiair assembly so where is the best place to find them cam and fillers and gaskets. I did find a hairline crack in cam lobe for intake love on cylinder one. Help please

Found the 4 followers are stuck. I need to buy one of the pot metal nuts on the multiair assembly so where is the best place to find them cam and fillers and gaskets. I did find a hairline crack in cam lobe for intake love on cylinder one. Help please
I have not worked on the multiair models, but I am sure other Forum Members can advice on best place to obtain parts required.
Just for my sake, as eyes getting old , was I correct that the cam lobe had moved on the shaft in your second photo? If so maybe the hairline crack/failure caused the "pressed on ?" cam lobe to move on the shaft resulting in the issue. If that is the case I wonder if any other multiair users have experienced it.;)

I have not worked on the multiair models, but I am sure other Forum Members can advice on best place to obtain parts required.
Just for my sake, as eyes getting old , was I correct that the cam lobe had moved on the shaft in your second photo? If so maybe the hairline crack/failure caused the "pressed on ?" cam lobe to move on the shaft resulting in the issue. If that is the case I wonder if any other multiair users have experienced it.;)

Hi,

I think you are correct that the pressed on cam lobe that operates the multi air unit has failed and now spinning on the shaft.

The above would explain no compression.

I am concerned about the ops comment that 4 lifters are stuck......maybe they appear "stuck" due to Multi air system function.

I think I would replace the cam shaft only then check engine function.

Best wishes
Jack

Weird. I hav ebroken every part of a cars engine in my mis spent youth. I have never seen anything like that. I also thought camshafts are a cast item that is subsequently machined. Whatever something must have given the shaft a shoch to cause that, or its a manufacturing defect. I would contact Fiat. They ought to be interested at the least and might just help as this looks like a fundamental defect.

Multiair..

There Is a failure mode of something coming undone,

Almost certainly in the Punto Evo section here

I will attempt to find it..

Last edited:
Press fit cam lobes have been around for quite some time.
A broken timing belt can result in lobes being twisted on the shaft leading to all sorts of hard to diagnose problems if engine repaired .......it is hard to spot a twisted cam lobe.

"How do you press them on?"
The answer from Fiat to that question appears to be "Not very well";)
Re the @jackwhoo question, I have a small one. Is that the same 1.6HDi in my 2012 Citroen C3 Picasso with 224k miles, I was thinking I was pushing my luck keeping it much longer, trouble is I like driving it.:)

Attachments

• 1706973519477.png
    1706973519477.png
    14.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 1706973516369.png
    1706973516369.png
    14.9 MB · Views: 14
Probably press them on as well.
They call that progress?
I really dont get some changes, it's like they take the design of something that's been fine for 100 years and rarely fails and give it a far higher chance of getting catastrophic failure. Maybe it's the future to have self destroying engines.

I really dont get some changes, it's like they take the design of something that's been fine for 100 years and rarely fails and give it a far higher chance of getting catastrophic failure. Maybe it's the future to have self destroying engines.
They have all learnt from British Industry, build a good reliable product and you don't sell any more new ones, build in obsolescence is the mantra of modern industry.:(

Back