Technical 2011 Panda Active clutch fun

Currently reading:
Technical 2011 Panda Active clutch fun

Khaito

Hi all,

You guys were all a huge help when I was having issues with ignition coils etc at the end of last year so hoping for your input on my shiny new Panda issue: Clutch has gone.
Went out yesterday morning to give my mum a lift to the hospital and couldn't put the car in gear and the clutch pedal felt loose - it comes back up but doesn't feel like it's connected to anything. Car I've got is a 2011 Fiat Panda Active 1.2ltr 169 5dr.

I've phoned my usual garage and they're doing me a solid by pairing my car up for collection next wednesday when they're picking up another car for a different job, mechanic I spoke to thinks it's either the slave cylinder or the junction box that connects to/feeds it (apparently that's known to cause issues?).

Things I've checked: When the engine is started, I can't get put the car into any gear except reverse which makes a horrendous crunching noise when it attempts to connect (since I'm shoving it into gear without use of the clutch :D ). If the engine is off, I can put the car in gear but when started it stalls after sputtering for a while. The clutch fluid reservoir at the top left hand side of the engine bay is empty so I'm assuming I have a leak somewhere. I've eyeballed the slave cylinder under the battery tray and I'm not seeing any leaks there. Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can do to pinpoint further where the issue lies?

I've got another vehicle but it's a ridiculous situation where I've got two vans and the recently rebuilt rear diff and the axle it's connected to is sitting in the back of the functional van so everywhere I'm driving with the functional van is essentially me taking the rear axle out for adventures. :| So if there's any chance I can sort this myself over the weekend, I'd really like to give it a shot. Planning to start with topping up the clutch fluid with some DOT4 but I'll take any input anyone might have.

Thanks!

If the fluid has leaked out then the clutch won't be operating, so the clutch itself might be fine.

There should be some sign of fluid loss if it's recent.

There are three things that can leak:
Master cylinder - connected directly to the clutch pedal
Slave cylinder - bolted to the top of the gearbox
Connector - cylindrical thing mounted towards the front of the front left wheel arch

If there's nothing obvious, I'd be tempted to put more fluid in and see where it leaks out.

A complete pre-filled replacement hydraulic system is available, but expensive.

If the fluid has leaked out then the clutch won't be operating, so the clutch itself might be fine.

There should be some sign of fluid loss if it's recent.

There are three things that can leak:
Master cylinder - connected directly to the clutch pedal
Slave cylinder - bolted to the top of the gearbox
Connector - cylindrical thing mounted towards the front of the front left wheel arch

If there's nothing obvious, I'd be tempted to put more fluid in and see where it leaks out.

A complete pre-filled replacement hydraulic system is available, but expensive.
Is the master cylinder the bit bolted into the bulkhead below where the clutch fluid reservoir is? I topped up the fluid and tried putting the car into gear whilst the engine was running and it seems to be back to functioning so there's a leak somewhere. I couldn't see anything but it's raining so I'll check it again tomorrow. Also had a bit of brake fluid spillage when putting the float back in the reservoir so letting things dry out after cleaning it up with some carb cleaner, water and blasting with an air compressor. 😬
I honestly couldn't say if the leak has been gradual or if it's a sudden one, haven't been checking. The last time I would've looked was back in October when I was checking brake fluid levels due to the low brake fluid light being perpetually on. :unsure:

Is the master cylinder the bit bolted into the bulkhead below where the clutch fluid reservoir is? I topped up the fluid and tried putting the car into gear whilst the engine was running and it seems to be back to functioning so there's a leak somewhere.
Yes, that's the one. Good that you've got gears back - for now

Probably a slow leak, and I'd suspect the slave cylinder - it's only plastic. But masters are also known to give up.

If you absolutely need to use the car before it's fixed (not ideal), make sure you bleed the clutch first to get the air out of the system, bleed nipple is on the slave cylinder, then make sure there's always fluid in the reservoir to avoid sucking in more air.

I think @DaveMcT found a good source for the complete hydraulics:

The master and slave are available separately from Shop4Parts, and there's a discount code for donated FIAT Forum members:

id have a good look around and just change what's needed

you've lost over 100ml of oil type fluid, somewhere should be damp

master cylinder often make the carpet damp

Replace the master cylinder first and bleed the system. The seals leak and suck in air leading to a non working clutch. The push rod is a clip-op ball joint. Just lever it off. The blue pipe unplugs but be VERY careful to not lose the retaining hairpin clip. If the slave is leaking you'll see the mess. Actually seeing the Autodoc prices you might as well replace both and be done with it. Order from the app and they give 10% off.

Master
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lpr/13859934

Slave

Back