Technical 2011 2.3 litre is it a non0interference motor

Currently reading:
Technical 2011 2.3 litre is it a non0interference motor

alinthebush

Hi there from Al in the bush in Australia.

My 2011 2.3 litre fuel pump seized, causing the timing belt to shred. Is this motor what we call non-interference, that is the pistons and valves don't touch each other, even if in wrong positions such as when the timing belt breaks or will the valves be bent and pistons damaged from the broken timing belt?

Thanks in advance for your help

al in the bush

Hi al

From the pictures I have seen, the cylinder head is flat and the valves are mounted vertically, i.e not inclined. The combustion chamber is formed by a bowl shaped recess in the piston crown, which has a smaller area than that occupied by the 4 valves. So it is an interference design.

I did once work out that you could probably get away with a timing error of plus or minus one tooth on the belt, but if the belt snaps whilst the engine is running there will be clashing. I guess only dismantling will tell you what has been damaged. My gut feeling is that as the valve heads will be hit "square on" then the valve stems will transfer the impact to the rocker arms which will bend/break, but who knows.

Sorry I can't be more positive !

In addition to other members posts :
Some of the valve guides will be obviously split/ damaged some may be damaged invisibly . Piston damage is likely .

Replacing the engine with a used or reconditioned unit- fitted with new belts- possibly best option.

Back