Technical 2010 Fiat 500 - rumble in the rain!

Currently reading:
Technical 2010 Fiat 500 - rumble in the rain!

FrustratedInA500

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I have a 2010 1.2 Fiat 500L. I've been carrying out various work on it (cambelt kit...fixing the obligatory frayed boot loom etc).

One issue that is completely evading me is a "rumble" from the front nearside (left side sitting in the car) that only occurs when driving through standing water. Very often, there is a rumbling noise that last for upwards of 5 seconds after driving through the water.

I used the search function and found this thread on a very similar issue, but it hasn't rectified my problem.

As with the above thread, my issue only occurs in the wet, never in the dry. My theory is this is rapid cooling of the exhaust so I had the front of the car up on axle stands, let it get nicely up to temp and soaked the exhaust with a hose but could not reproduce it.

Please check out the following 18 second clip I took on a private road of the rumble.

I will add that I recently changed the exhaust hangers for new items.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me mad!

Last edited:
please review the thread- loud noise and vibration when raining to which i have contributed greatly might help!" (y)
Wow! You've really gone in depth on that thread with some great ideas/diagnostics. You've got me thinking now.

The car went through it's MOT in August. I knew it had an exhaust leak at the Flexi section before this so cut out the old Flexi and installed a Flexi section repair part off eBay. I believe that the part I received was actually meant for a Punto. I fitted it anyway and used clamps and GunGum. I did notice the other day the GunGum has cracked off and the exhaust is now again leaking slightly at the front (where the manifold joins to the Flexi). I wonder if water is getting in this and causing the issue. I don't have any vibration or bogging like you are experiencing.

I never liked the Flexi "repair" I carried out and was looking to install a new Flexi/center pipe and back box. I am just hesitant in firing up the parts cannon.

Out of interest does your noise sound like mine in my video?

Thanks again for your reply!

Your video and /or my hearing not acute enough to tell really! the way i describe the noise is a "crackling bubbling sound similar to a kettle boiling! that then creaks crackles and groans! however the difference is mine and the other posters starts at the back left of the car!.
Have to say a new solid centre pipe with out all the joints and repair patches you have sounds like the best way forward! for you if you go down this route it would be great if you could report the results to the forums for others to read and understand!
good luck!.

I never liked the Flexi "repair" I carried out and was looking to install a new Flexi/center pipe and back box. I am just hesitant in firing up the parts cannon.
I can understand that.

Even the cheapest flexi/centrepipe + backbox at ECP is close on £200, and that's for a Klarius, which are absolute rubbish.

Your video and /or my hearing not acute enough to tell really! the way i describe the noise is a "crackling bubbling sound similar to a kettle boiling! that then creaks crackles and groans! however the difference is mine and the other posters starts at the back left of the car!.
Have to say a new solid centre pipe with out all the joints and repair patches you have sounds like the best way forward! for you if you go down this route it would be great if you could report the results to the forums for others to read and understand!
good luck!.

Thought I'd come back on this as you asked for results.

I changed the center section last weekend. It's been a very wet couple of days here in the east of England so as soon as I found a decent puddle I went through it. Sadly, the 'rumble' immediately started on the front nearside as normal.

So sadly, I'm back to square one. I did (ensuring it was safe to do so) hit the brakes once it started to see if this changed or stopped the noise. There was a change and it did seem to stop as soon as the car stopped.

Not entirely sure where to go from here. This could turn into a 'radio up' job on wet days!

Sorry to say mines still doing it as well!!!😭 now totally convinced its something to do with the after market exhaust parts!😤( being built down to a price!) but cant prove it of course!I🤔 have become very good at steering away from standing water!😄

Back