Technical 2010 2.3 Ducato EGR function times

Currently reading:
Technical 2010 2.3 Ducato EGR function times

freedom01

Good morning everyone and thank you for having me.
Would any of you clever souls know about EGR function and when it should turn on/off during normal use with a 2010 2.3 Ducato ?
I have a low power/black smoke issue which feels like low boost but on Multicu live data i see egr function at idle and throttle body position of 5% until the vehicle gets to about 2000 rpm under load then the throttle body starts to open and allow boost through.
so im thinking its more a boost blockage at the throttle action rather than lack of boost.
any input would be welcome thanks.

Hi freedom01

I don't have any official information, but do have some experience of observing EGR system operation on a 2008 2.3 Ducato (Euro 4) via Multiecuscan.

The EGR system should never restrict airflow and therefore power delivery. It is only intended to come in to operation when the engine is lightly loaded. The throttle body valve (TB) causes a pressure drop across it when it is partially closed, which lowers the absolute pressure in the inlet manifold. I think the idea is that this encourages recirculated exhaust gas to flow from the exhaust manifold via the EGR valve. The two valves perform a sort of double act to manage the amount of EGR.

My observation is that the EGR system normally sits at 5% TB, 0% EGR when idling. Upon revving up (in neutral, no load). The TB and EGR immediately both open by varying amounts. When you let the engine idle again, the TB and EGR stay open at around 64% TB and 55% EGR. After exacly a minute of idling, they revert back to 5% and 0%.

Black smoke and low power is often caused by a boosted air leak - split hose etc. Loss of pressurised air means over rich fuel mix and no or little boost.

Ian.

Back