Technical 2008 X250 3.0l starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 X250 3.0l starting problem

John greenfield

I am having a problem with my Ducato van starting when it is at normal running temp. It starts fine from cold but when warm it seems like it is trying to kick back against the starter when cranking.
Once running it is absolutly fine either from cold or hot but the hot (running temp) starting is not good and the "knock" as it kicks back is a bit alarming. Cranking from cold is no problem so it is unlikely to be anything to do with the starter motor. No fault codes have been logged.
Anyone got any ideas???

Hi John,
There are others on this forum with more expertise in this area, but as an opening shot your symptoms sound as though the injection timing may be too far advanced for the warm engine.

It is normal for the ECU to advance the injection during cold starting, and I am wondering if the ECU may not be responding to the increase in engine temperature? Perhaps @bugsymike has encountered somthing like this?

Hi John,
There are others on this forum with more expertise in this area, but as an opening shot your symptoms sound as though the injection timing may be too far advanced for the warm engine.

It is normal for the ECU to advance the injection during cold starting, and I am wondering if the ECU may not be responding to the increase in engine temperature? Perhaps @bugsymike has encountered somthing like this?
Not something I have come across, though just a thought, is it possible a leaking injector could cause a build up of fuel in the combustion chamber causing not exactly a hydraulic lock but maybe a start of combustion prior to the normal injection point. If so you may see a puff of black smoke as it fires.
I have noticed that where "easy start" spray has been used, shall we say a bit generously, there can be a tendency to "kick back" .
Purely a guess though.
A quick search, any of these signs?
Symptoms of Leaking Fuel Injectors:
  • Hard Starting when engine is hot.
  • Increased Fuel Consumption.
  • Rough Idle.
  • Fuel odors inside and around the car.
  • Poor Emissions.
  • Oil thinning, which can lead to catastrophic engine failure.
  • Hydro-lock, which can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

This may have nothing to do with it but 'knock at start up' was a common problem on the Ducato of that vintage. There were several attempts by Fiat to fix it. It was tied up with the 'judder in reverse'. Fiat had an intervention for the 2.3l involving amongst other thing fitting improved engine mounts. Nothing was done to the 3l, I suspect because of the relatively few of them compared to the 2.3

Back