2005 panda engine problems

Currently reading:
2005 panda engine problems

Brookies

We have a panda 2005 4x4 1232 engine. We bought it from a fiat dealer with 34000 on the clock. 8 months down the line it started to sound really loud. We took it back to the dealer and the nightmare happened. A new engine was needed at 37000miles. We paid £1500 for a secondhand engine, choosen by the dealer. Straight away the car didnt feel right, put we were told that the engine needed to be worn in. We tested it for 4 weeks, the results were the car was only doing 26 miles to the gallon, was revering at 6 going up hills, losing power when changing down. Also most worrying it won't go more than 50 on the motorway. It is back in to fiat as the engine had a 3 month warranty. It's looking like it might need a new engine! There is a chance that the engine is of a lesser power for the car. Any advise would be appreciated.

We never found out exactly, very noisy, sounded like a tractor, lower engine fault, most likely the bearings in the crankshaft. It was going to cost to much to strip the engine down that another engine was as cheap.

We never found out exactly, very noisy, sounded like a tractor, lower engine fault, most likely the bearings in the crankshaft. It was going to cost to much to strip the engine down that another engine was as cheap.

hi, sorry to hear you story,
with the 1242 cc FIRE petrol engine,
they are pretty tough - BUT towing / or off-roading can seriously stress the motor,

I suspect the original had been drowned / overheated ( or both),

Unfortunatley the replacement sounds like it was a tired engine from day 1, ( these motors generally do 150k ( road) miles before needing any more than a headskim)

what are the supplying dealer offering to rescue this sorry state of affairs ?,

Proper recon engine ( minimum of 1 year = 12K miles warranty) would be the starting point for me,

out of interest , :idea:if you had it MOT'd in this time what were the emissions readings..??

Charlie

Hi, at the moment the car is in the fiat garage, while they decide what is wrong with it. The 2nd engine is a 2006 plate with 37000miles on it. Well that's what fiat told me. I have the engine number which I am trying to check, not sure where to do that.

Fiat have said they think the engine, which was supplied by a scrap yard, is a lower power engine. Now ours was a 1.232 and the only other one they could have supplied would be a 1.1. But I doubt it would cause these drastic problems. They are saying they are going to ask the scrap yard to replace the engine, and then ask them to pay for the fitting of the new engine.

At the moment I am worried, even I the 3 month warranty should cover the sorting out, I. Am not sure they are no what they are doing and unsure wether the car will be fixed.

Not sure who to complain to but I think I should start.

Thanks

Marie Brook

Well the garage undertook the work and sourced the engine so ultimately the buck lies with them.

They should have checked the engine code before fitting to see if it was a 1108cc or 1242cc lump.

In addition to this the garage should have supplied the engine number for the V5C to be updated.

I'm also concerned that they used an engine from a scrap yard, I though main dealers would only normally fit a reconditioned lump?

I'm not sure how they've come about £1500 to do what they appear to have done to date. Scandalous.

Well the garage undertook the work and sourced the engine so ultimately the buck lies with them.

They should have checked the engine code before fitting to see if it was a 1108cc or 1242cc lump.

In addition to this the garage should have supplied the engine number for the V5C to be updated.

I'm also concerned that they used an engine from a scrap yard, I though main dealers would only normally fit a reconditioned lump?

I'm not sure how they've come about £1500 to do what they appear to have done to date. Scandalous.

pretty much my thoughts,(y)

if it was my car = I would be consulting trading standards about this company, they often have a "file" on such things,

BUT - I'm still finding it hard to believe that ANY reputable garage would supply and fit an 1108 in a 1242 car.!!

no wonder it was working so hard..

did you have any MOT emissions figures..??,

Charlie

Back