Technical 2001 Barchetta Immo off

Currently reading:
Technical 2001 Barchetta Immo off

aurelian1

Hi everyone!

Left the car with Batt_Minus disconnected for a couple of weeks and now I cannot start it.
I connected a OBD scanner, it returned U1600 key not recognized fault.
The code warning light is dead, meaning either the FIAT CODE unit is dead or the cluster or something in between.
I do not consider for the moment an ECU fault, as I can connect to it through the diagnosis port.
I don't have the red master key :(

Right now I am looking at all options. First step would be to debug the trio handshake between ECU, Code unit and key.

I am also considering bypassing the IMMO.
Has anyone successfully done this on a Barchetta?

My ECU is a Hitachi MFI 303.
Does anyone know what tools or interfaces are needed to read ECU/EEPROM and bypass the IMMO section?
I can only find bits and pieces of info, nothing straightforward.

Thank you!

Hi Dave!

I tried the B's battery on another car, it was able to start that car (Mazda 3) without problems. I tried Mazda's battery on the B, could not start it.
So I don't think the battery is the problem, even though it sounds like it.

I put a video on youtube with the starting issue:

As you can see, the CODE warning light is dead. It should either blink or stay on. This, combined with the U1600 (key not recognized) that the ECU is reporting, leads me to either a dead IMMO, dead keys, dead aerial connection or dead ECU.

I have inspected visually the fuses, no problems. Next step is to actually measure them.

IMMO_OFF is one of the options, if it turns out that the FIAT CODE unit is the culprit.

Aurelian

That sound is typical of a battery that is having a hard time of turning the engine over.
If as you say the battery is OK in another car and that that car's battery is the same in the B then I'd start with the earth connections then on to others such as live and starter connections etc.

Definitely doesn't sound healthy.

try a push start , if it starts with the push it's not a key problem !
the starter it's not turning the engine fast enough , battery really seems weak , but if you rule out the battery , it could be poor conection in terminals , starter problem or even stuck engine ...
good luck .

image.jpg
Try this.

Hi folks!

I managed to get it started. Two problems:

- One burned fuse, which cut the supply to the immo. Owners manual does not seem to mention the fuses box beneath the windshield. Had to use the service manual.

- Battery. I tried two batteries (45A and 65A), no luck. I had to connect them in parallel, according to the jump start procedure in the owners manual. With a couple of rattles, it finally started. Left it for 30 mins to charge. On the next day I took it for a ride, it starts properly with its own battery.

Regarding immo_off, I started reading and asking on digital-kaos.co.uk forum. It seems that for this ECU the EEPROM (memory) has to be re-written with new values.
Most likely I will buy another ECU and start fiddling with that one.

On another note, I found that the emergency code card that I had and relied upon is actually for the car alarm :(
And also that my spare keys are not recognized by the code_unit (code light remains on). They seem to work properly with the main blue key kept in close proximity.

Thanks for your support and have a nice day!

Last edited:
Glad you got it started!

Perseverance - and a systematic approach to fault-finding - usually pays off, as you've demonstrated. (y)

Last edited:
Back