General 2000 Ducato MoHo Pneumatic Headlamp Adjustment Repair/Replacement

Currently reading:
General 2000 Ducato MoHo Pneumatic Headlamp Adjustment Repair/Replacement

umanemo

For 6 years I have passed German TUV (MOT) without a functioning headlamp adjustment, just correctly aimed. This inspection the headlamp adjustment was suddenly a problem. In the past, the first inspector who complained of the issue told me that if I could provide an affidavit that the repair and replacement parts were no longer sourceable he would waive the requirement. I have secured a statement from the manufacturer of the motorhome and for these many years that has been sufficient.

The most recent inspection refers to headlamp adjustment twice! Bummer to say the least.

These pneumatic adjusters were famously problematic all over the internet after YR2000. I wonder if anyone here was successful in replacing the entire system with an aftermarket kit. Has anyone repaired the old pneumatic system? What were the typical failure points to look for?

Any guidance is appreciated, thanks guy's!

4/3/2000 FIAT Ducato 18Q - 2.8 i.d.TD
8140.43 (Direct Injection)
122 PS (90kW;120 hp) @ 3,600 rpm
5 Speed

VIN: ZFA23000005887229
Engine: 3050633
Chassis: 05887229
MVS (SINCOM): 232.330.1.0

- FORGONE 2800 TD FIANC.BASSA PASSO CORTO
M = 2800 TD
V = FURGONE 4x2
Q = PORTATA 18 QUINTALI

I am not familiar with the system, but I have a vague memory that the system was hydraulic, rather than pneumatic in operation.

A forum search for hydraulic headlamp adjustment returns links to several threads.

These pneumatic adjusters were famously problematic all over the internet after YR2000. I wonder if anyone here was successful in replacing the entire system with an aftermarket kit. Has anyone repaired the old pneumatic system? What were the typical failure points to look for?
Erm well yes . My system on a same year vehicle , was also shot , and i replace like for like . But this was not without its problems . The part is still available , though supply can be very intermittent . It just so happens , i managed to source two such units , from a supplier in Germany . However be careful , i discovered there are at least two different units , and that's the two i know about , there may be more . This is why i had to source two . Both were sourced from ebay , about 8 months ago .
The difference was in the cab control unit . The first one , had a 90 degree movement , where the second had a 180 degree movement . The correct one for my van was the latter , despite the first fitting . It didn't match the dashboard panel markings it fitted into .
I can confirm the unit is pneumatic , but in my opinion is not repairable , as this has some kind of liquid inside . Refilling this would prove very problematic . In my view it seems likely the weak link is the tubing itself . Its not flexible , and feels rather brittle . I would surmise these crack or break a seal , and the liquid leak out . Each adjuster appears to be a separate system , my off side unit showed an obvious failure .

What i would suggest is to take a look on Utube ! . I found at least two posters converting to electric adjusters . A route i would have followed , had it not been for my present workload .

Erm well yes . My system on a same year vehicle , was also shot , and i replace like for like . But this was not without its problems . The part is still available , though supply can be very intermittent . It just so happens , i managed to source two such units , from a supplier in Germany . However be careful , i discovered there are at least two different units , and that's the two i know about , there may be more . This is why i had to source two . Both were sourced from ebay , about 8 months ago .
The difference was in the cab control unit . The first one , had a 90 degree movement , where the second had a 180 degree movement . The correct one for my van was the latter , despite the first fitting . It didn't match the dashboard panel markings it fitted into .
I can confirm the unit is pneumatic , but in my opinion is not repairable , as this has some kind of liquid inside . Refilling this would prove very problematic . In my view it seems likely the weak link is the tubing itself . Its not flexible , and feels rather brittle . I would surmise these crack or break a seal , and the liquid leak out . Each adjuster appears to be a separate system , my off side unit showed an obvious failure .

What i would suggest is to take a look on Utube ! . I found at least two posters converting to electric adjusters . A route i would have followed , had it not been for my present workload .
Thanks Airwaves,

You are correct on many points. The replacement set, the master and two slave servos, came fully assembled. The connecting tube is too stiff for sure. I had to be careful not to torque the tube fixings at the slave ends as to not crack them at their connection. My original system showed evidence that exact scenario was the cause of a crack in the connection point, hence the eventual loss of air pressure and failure. There are many OEM and clone replacement sets online. The prices vary wildly, mine was 112€, while most were priced at over 200€ to 350€?
Installation was simple and straightforward, it is fiddly to feed the servos through the firewall from the interior of the vehicle but I found that removing the instrument panel unit the best option and it exposed the area for easy access of installation.

Thanks Airwaves,

You are correct on many points. The replacement set, the master and two slave servos, came fully assembled. The connecting tube is too stiff for sure. I had to be careful not to torque the tube fixings at the slave ends as to not crack them at their connection. My original system showed evidence that exact scenario was the cause of a crack in the connection point, hence the eventual loss of air pressure and failure. There are many OEM and clone replacement sets online. The prices vary wildly, mine was 112€, while most were priced at over 200€ to 350€?
Installation was simple and straightforward, it is fiddly to feed the servos through the firewall from the interior of the vehicle but I found that removing the instrument panel unit the best option and it exposed the area for easy access of installation.
Yep , i found it very fiddly as well , and yes you do have to be careful not to strain the servos . The first set were easy to fit , as the tube to the servo was pretty much central , but not so with the second . The lower dash panels were already removed , as i was also in the process of tidying the electrics , among other things , and on refitting did run the tubes a different route from what i found them . I'm hoping this will ease any strain and help prevent any future failures , but that may be a bridge too far , here's hoping , huh .

I'm glad you've got your problem sorted . Yes i've seen the price difference myself , both of mine cost 130 quid , but availability was the greatest issue .

Back