Technical 2000 Barchetta rattling noise

Currently reading:
Technical 2000 Barchetta rattling noise

bhabib

Hi All,

I am new to this forum as I bought myself a Barchetta Riviera a couple of months ago in Germany (100k on the clock)
The car seems to be running well overall so far. The timing belt was due for a change and this is now done
along with a new water pump.

However, 2 days ago, as I drove back from work I started hearing a rattling noise
It's coming from the front right side, external noise. Not so loud but feels like clucking metal noise
That only happens when I am in gear and only when I lift off the throttle.
It seems to be louder on 2nd and third gears.

Any ideas, thought, previous experiences would be very much appreciated.

I am thinking of, in order of probability: drive shaft ?? Differential ?? Clutch ?

Thanks.
Bachir

Lucky guess.
Check the heat shield on exhaust manifolt.
If it is, in any way cracked, it will rattle inconsistently.

I have to report from time to time
I have found loose bolts allround the car.
Those have been there from factory.

Last edited:
Yup most likely the Heat shield of the manifold.
Buy an upgraided one from eBay. IT Will fix your problem permanently.

I bought the one from Henk's barchettaparts.

I think the item number is 565 or search his site for "alternatif" and you will find it. (sorry, I'm unable to post direct links in here right now).

Pretty easy to fit but have some wd40 at hand if the three bolts that hold the shield in place are rusty.

Once fitted on my barchetta, the rattle was gone for good.

I would not replace it with an original shield. Apart from being a collectors item and very rare, they are as thin as tin foil so you will have the rattling return within months.

Henk's alternative is uglier and thicker than the original. In this particular case that is a good thing :)

Back