Technical 2.3 130 Still Smoking

Currently reading:
Technical 2.3 130 Still Smoking

Speary8

Hi. I have had a new throttle body fitted and that end of the egr system cleaned but I am still getting what I think is excessive smoke under acceleration. Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this
The exhaust pipe is very black and I am getting about 24mpg on a good motorway run at a steady 65

Pressurised air leak - split or loose hose etc - is one culprit. Make sure the egr valve is closing properly. Could be injector(s). Probably should scan it.

I have scanned and there are no errors.
I have been trying a few things. Under light to medium throttle I can’t see smoke but if say at 30 in 4th gear I floor the throttle I get a big plume of black smoke. If I do it again a bit later there is only a bit of smoke
I am checking the hoses etc this week. Are there any in particular to check?
Has anybody got any ideas what might cause this Thanks in advance

Sounds normal to me, probably blowing the soot out of the exhaust box the first time, the second time you boot it the soot has mostly gone so not as much black. 24 MPG sounds o.k for a big vehicle guessing 3.5 tonne loaded up with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Did a bit more investigating today. I found that the egr actuator solenoid (the thing with the small vacuum pipes from the servo to the egr valve) it was making quite loud chattering noises while it was activating the egr valve. I’ve ordered a new one to be on the safe side

This is a thread from another forum you might find helpful.

The figures that you have stated seem realistic. Our panel vans with 2.8JTD engines before 2006 did 30-35mpg but the new 2.3JTD's do between 23 and 28mpg. (The old 2.8idTD easily did 40mpg!)

Blame the pillocks in Europe for making the manufacturers conform to idiotic Euro 4 standards that are biased towards particulate matter and Hydrocarbons instead of just using less fuel. None of them was smart enough to listen to the engineers that advised them that the reduction of fuel consumption would inevitably lead to lower emissions and of course conservation of resources. Of course, that would have netted less revenue from fuel taxation.

Euro 5 is much worse. Don't wait; buy a Euro 4 now. After March next year you won't have a choice. All new Fiat Ducato's ordered after March 1st 2011 will be Euro 5. You might save a little in VED but you will pay at the pumps. (And what I am hearing about fuel and ad-blue consumption on Ford's and Mercs does not sound good either).

Nick

Keep in mind this guy is talking about panel van fuel consumption, a camper aerodynamics will be considerable worse.

Back