Technical 1972 Fiat 500 Low of power

Currently reading:
Technical 1972 Fiat 500 Low of power

bechicago

I was driving my 1972 Fiat 500 when it suddenly lost about 50-60% of it's power. Not that it had much before but now it's really weak! I replaced both spark plugs and the ignition coil but that doesn't solve it. It starts-up ok but when I completely depress the accelerator pedal, it's still missing power. Any suggestions of possible causes? Thx!

I was driving my 1972 Fiat 500 when it suddenly lost about 50-60% of it's power. Not that it had much before but now it's really weak! I replaced both spark plugs and the ignition coil but that doesn't solve it. It starts-up ok but when I completely depress the accelerator pedal, it's still missing power. Any suggestions of possible causes? Thx!
Any clue looking at the old spark plugs, oil or petrol soaked?
Assuming missing totally on one cylinder.
If you place connected spark plugs on metal of engine and someone cranks it over for you, can you see a good spark on both plugs?
If so I would do a compression test to confirm engine condition.
Nothing simple like backing into a bank and blocking the exhaust pipe?;)

Hi and welcome, I would check the rockers for close-up and adjust as necessary (COLD). Change the condenser as a matter of course and clean the carb thoroughly. Check for proper fuel flow from the pump too.
Ian.

Any clue looking at the old spark plugs, oil or petrol soaked?
Assuming missing totally on one cylinder.
If you place connected spark plugs on metal of engine and someone cranks it over for you, can you see a good spark on both plugs?
If so I would do a compression test to confirm engine condition.
Nothing simple like backing into a bank and blocking the exhaust pipe?;)
I appreciate the suggestion. I pulled the plugs but both look dry. I'm going to try changing the fuel filter. Maybe some foreign material suddenly blocked some of the filter. It runs but the RMPs are slow to increase when I step on it. Or it revs-up then but then the RMPs slow.

do you have 'points' ignition or 'electronic'?
I'm a 'wanna be' car mechanic. I don't know but I suspect my 1792 model would have points vs. electronic but I don't know. I've not taken apart the distributor. I'm not sure If I'd know what to look for. I'm guessing the 'rockers' require disassembly of the engine which is beyond my ability. Same with changing the condenser and cleaning the carbonator and checking flow from pump. I could 'try' these things but would likely make matters worse since I wouldn't know what I'm doing. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.

I'm a 'wanna be' car mechanic. I don't know but I suspect my 1792 model would have points vs. electronic but I don't know. I've not taken apart the distributor. I'm not sure If I'd know what to look for. I'm guessing the 'rockers' require disassembly of the engine which is beyond my ability. Same with changing the condenser and cleaning the carbonator and checking flow from pump. I could 'try' these things but would likely make matters worse since I wouldn't know what I'm doing. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.
Maybe you can find an "Old School Mechanic" who can check the points etc. Most modern ones are not familiar with such things, I was changing points etc at 15 years old under training from older mechanics of course, so not rocket science;)

I'm a 'wanna be' car mechanic. I don't know but I suspect my 1792 model would have points vs. electronic but I don't know. I've not taken apart the distributor. I'm not sure If I'd know what to look for.
Wow that must be the oldest 500 in existence 😳
As a wanna be what manual are you using?
It is possible that you may have an air leak at the base of the carb.

Back